Wednesday, July 05, 2006

`Vegemite Vindaloo' - a third email critique

I have finished `Vegemite Vindaloo' and I loved it! I'm not just saying this, because I feel obligated to or something, but I really enjoyed it!

There are books that I buy for my friends and the one I usually buy is by Alexander McCall Smith, "2 and a Half Pillars of Wisdom". It's a really fun book. Well, I think `Vegemite Vindaloo' will also start featuring on my gifting list now ... it's wonderfully warm and funny and sad and I really liked the end!

Steve Cooper sounded a bit too good to be true, but fortunately I have met some really nice people like him, so I do believe those sort of people exist! What I loved the most was the character sketches ... each of them was so full of life. There were so many characters, like the corrupt Customs officer or the small-time crook, who you could just have named and described the events around them, but by drawing them out in such detail they just added a whole new dimension to the story...I absolutely loved it!

The little bits about Air Force life were very accurate as well!

I plan to gift my aunt a copy ... she lives in Melbourne. I think she migrated there about 25 years ago (not sure, but around that much) and I think she'd really enjoy it!

Well, thank you for a really enjoyable read ... I've passed it on to my boyfriend, because he felt terribly neglected while I was reading it so he's decided to see what was so gripping!

Reem Khokar, New Delhi
PR and Marketing Co-ordinator, Rough Guides

No comments: