Thursday, June 22, 2006

`Vegemite Vindaloo' - a friend's viewpoint

This email is from a childhood friend of mine. She's given me a bit of a kicking, as you'll see. But she's bought seven copies of the book and that's what counts.

Finished the book within 36 hours. My Parsi friend Perri says she hunted for it in Mumbai and couldn't get a copy so I bought it here in Crossword. See, I'm spreading the word according to McMahon.

Now for my review. Remember NOT to pay any attention to "critics" - they're the ones who never wrote a book in theier lives for fear of criticism. As a friend, I found the book unashamedly nostalgic. Imagine weaving into the tale the "smell of ALOA" on Kydd Street. It's the same by the way, went down there the other day.

I liked the portrayal of Ismail and family --- very nicely done. I liked the way you introduce them into Cal and their meeting up with the Coopers and all their troubles and tribulations. The details were great and the situations realistic and beautifully protrayed. I liked "fatty Ayah".

Steve Cooper has so much going for him and you make him "fizzle" out in Oz and he becomes a capitalist pilot! I mean here is this guy, who if I had known him, or rather if he existed, I would have given up all intentions of staying single and married him, but then in the way of all men he just fizzles out.

His attachment to Azam and the way he deals with it is beautiful. His time in Oz is, I don't know, unremarkable. I somehow had hoped that he would join the two mad guys in Jindaroo Creek, but you're the story teller and I'm the critic! The old man Wally Bennett is an interesting character. He would fit in beautifully into a "cameo role" when the book becomes a movie.

Hated the beginning. It's all right till the two men met but the rest of the bit about football had me turning pages. The end ties up nicely with the beginning but the footy details did not appeal. Also the Hindi-filmi style in which Steve Cooper gets a job with Quantas --- too maach man!

Now can anyone get more critical than this?

Dr Ishika Ghose, Calcutta

No comments: