Monday, October 15, 2007

I've Got A Stiff Neck, Dear

That's Because You're A Robot, You Tin-Head

A British scientist has been awarded a doctorate for a paper predicting that humans will one day marry robots. Maastricht University awarded David Levy a PhD for a thesis entitled Intimate Relationships with Artificial Partners. He wrote: "Trends in robotics and shifting attitudes on marriage are likely to result in sophisticated robots that will eventually be seen as suitable marriage partners." The thesis concluded that the findings are just as applicable to human interaction with robots of the future as they are to relationships between humans of today.

FOOTNOTE: To beep or not to beep, that is the question.

11 comments:

snowroses said...

Whoa, so marriage partners come in made-to-order traits? How about the kids? How will that happen I wonder. What is the world coming to...

dot said...

I don't know where you get all these tidbits from but they sure are halarious!

Les Becker said...

If he cooks and keeps house, I'll take him.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Lots of my friends are married to robots..

Corey~living and loving said...

interesting...makes me think....

oh and I'll have a little present up for you on my blog later today. :)

eric1313 said...

Kurt Vonnegut is doing 'I told you so' jumping jacks in his grave right now.

Wow. I have to tell people about this one.

Catmoves said...

Does Isaac Asimov know about this? He may have to write some new "laws" for these robots.

Jeni said...

I think my daughter's first boyfriend may have been the prototype for a robot relationship as the only thing I ever heard him say in the almost 2 years they dated was "Ya got that right!"

Ak-Man said...

At fisrt I thought this was rediculous . . . but the guy got this doctrate! Whoa . . .

Must have been a serious thesis.

This must be a few decades after iRobot.

karoline in the morning said...

if i had wanted a robot, i do believe i wouldn't have left my first husband..

; /

k

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.