Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Sunday Roast

Forget Social Status, This Blogger Is All Class

This week's interview is with Alex L, who writes
the blog The Discreet Charm of the Middle Class.


The first of the standard weekly questions. Why do you blog?

Short answer... anger, a lot of things make me angry and I just love to complain about them. I started blogging really just on a whim, but I quite enjoyed it so I kept at it. Even more so when people started reading what I was writing. If you're a writer and not just a blogger it is also handy to get a gauge on any storys you maybe working on, its like a free focus group.

What's the story behind your blog name?

Well the previous incarnation of my blog was entitled 'The Diary of a Whipping Boy', I called it that because I thought it sounded good. Only some time later to find out it was actually a fairly appropriate name. I would put myself throug the scummier side of modern society so everyone else wouldnt have to. Taking the punishment like the Whipping Boys of old would do.

As of Feburary this year though, the diary is no more, its now entitled 'The Discreet Charm of the Middleclass'. Why is it now called that well I dont know really I was just up for a change.

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

Having people say they enjoy what you do. Whether your trying to be funny or effect some other emotion knowing that you succeeded is a great feeling.

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

Ease yourself into things. Don't worry if you don't get any comments straight away. And don't expect the world.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever read?

I'm not sure, Mike over at See Mike Draw always makes me laugh and smile. Something as straightforward as a cartoon can be just as enjoyable as thousand posts.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever written?

Maybe my article on bloggers' environment day. I think I hit a cord with that one. I'm not sure really, there's a few that stick in my mind. I really enjoyed the post about ''cops'' I wrote, though. The quote I built that post around was pure comedic gold.

Today's Sunday Roast with Alex L is the sixteenth in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.

8 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

I always enjoy learning about other bloggers rather than the typical "meme" tag...you manage to get more out of them with a few simple questions than the "tell ten things about yourself" meme, though I find them interesting, too. Keep up this Sunday Roast thing and I'm going to start calling you "Deano" (as in Martin)
Sandi

Gone Back South said...

I agree, it's all very well to say you blog for yourself, but when someone else enjoys it too, it's like the cherry on top.

imac said...

Another good Roasting David.

pop over and see my busy critter.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Great post. I think blogging does bring one's feelings to the surface and that's a good thing. So many people are in a rush nowadays, it's hard to stop and think. Blogging's great for that. :D

David, I wanted to let you know I made it. I have a pubbing contract with more in the works. :D And I have a great agent.

JJ :D

Jules said...

Love the Sunday Roast tactic...better than a "meme"..I think you get more out of your subjects...and it's a win, win for the subject...I checked out his blog.

ps Send some of your Aussie sunshine to the NE states!

Shrinky said...

Yes, it's lovely to see the person behind the blog. I think the Sunday Roast spot is my favourite slot of the week. Great interview Alex, made me smile.

Akelamalu said...

The Sunday Roast is a great way to discover new blogs without having to search. Loved the interview, I'm off to visit now.

Anonymous said...

Well just my luck to get my interview up when my pc has been stricken with some mystery illness. Rest assured kids I'm still here and waiting/plotting a return. Thanks again to David for the opportunity, and I shall be back.

Alex L.