Monday, November 24, 2008

Oven Wilson, I Presume

Just Get A Grip, Will Ya?

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


This might look like the jaws of some mutant alligator with misplaced DNA, but it's actually a simple, everyday item. Recognise it? It's just a heavy-duty plastic oven mitt. All I've done is shoot it from an unusual angle, so the sight doesn't immediately ring a bell.

Look carefully at the surface of the inner grip itself and you'll see rows of tiny protrusions all along it. Remember what normal table tennis racquets looked like before Stiga and other hi-tech companies produced the thick, smooth sandwich surfaces? Once upon a time they were thin plastic (generally green or red) and covered with these pimple-like protruberances.

Just like the oven mitt here, I guess it was all about creating grip. And service with a smile.

(The Odd Shots concept came from Katney. Say "G'day" to her.)

11 comments:

Katney said...

I've never seen an oven mit like this one.

And I though table tennis rackets were reddish with pimply rubber protrusions like these.

Boy, and I odd!

Daryl said...

Must be an Oz-mitt .. if you take it with you it could be a trans-mitt or you could be mitt out ... I see I am just mitt-agating so I will just keep moo-ving

;-Daryl

And how weird is it my word to prove I am not a bot is chityped

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I knew what it was immediately...we have a red one!

mrsnesbitt said...

I thought it was a clothes peg! LOL!

Louise said...

That is one heavy duty mitt.

cheshire wife said...

I have never seen one of those. I would expect it to melt when it comes into contact with hot dishes.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen one of these. I still have the padded cloth ones. Guess I should spend more time in the cooking section of stores.
:-D

Sandi McBride said...

They really need to have an oven close by so you can try these things out...I'm afraid I'm a skeptic!
Sandi

Maggie May said...

Never in a million years would I have thought these were oven mitts!
Door stops maybe.....

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I laughed out loud. Great post!

Sheila

Lavinia said...

Gripping post!