Friday, July 03, 2009

Crowning Glory

A Touch Of Royalty In Outback Australia

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


These shots were taken on 5 June this year, in the tiny Victorian town of Glenrowan. I had just pulled off the interstate Hume Highway, parked the car and was stretching my legs before looking for a hearty breakfast, when I spotted this window.

It's a colonial-era original - the crown signifying royalty and the letters VR signifying "Victoria Regina" which - if you know a bit of Latin, means "Victoria the Queen". Now that's going back more than a century, because Queen Victoria reigned from 1837-1901, if I remember my literature lectures clearly.

And, just for the record, here's a look at the old postbox near the sign.


Visit MamaGeek and Cecily, creators of Photo Story Friday.

11 comments:

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Love the red and gold post box...and the way it is off center in your capture because it highlights the detail on curve. (It brings the eye in and around.) About the history story, is there a feeling of resentment or appreciation or ? about the social-historical influence of the UK on your country? We have a bit of both feelings here in Puerto Rico...it makes me wonder about other places. <3

Ananda girl said...

Glenrowan sounds charming. I love the letter box.

Tess Kincaid said...

That's a gloriously romantic post box. Ours are so utilitarian.

Sandi McBride said...

Someone has been taking royal care of not only that Royal Sign, but also that Royal Post Box...how bright the colors appear! Seems you are always looking for breakfast when you get your best shots, David!
Sandi

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

I love that old postbox!!!!!

My blog is back in business! I've missed everyone, but HAD to do some work on it. And prepare a post about my mother. Tomorrow (July 3) is the anniversary of her death, but a celebration of her life.

Hope you and yours are well.

Sharon Rose said...

Hey thanks for the history lesson here. I love history, seriously! That old post box is very pretty too.
I never knew what Victoria Regina stood for. I have read or heard that name before. Thanks to you, now i know!

Janie said...

The red and gold postbox looks quite royal. That sign is an interesting find. I guess the outback doesn't worry about keeping up with the times... or the current queen.

Rajesh said...

The design patterns on the post box are beautiful.

cheshire wife said...

That post box is slightly diferent to our post boxes, here in the UK. It reminds me of a beefeater.

Shadow said...

very royal...

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

The post box is awesome!