Monday, January 22, 2007

You Country Bumpkins, Er, Pumpkins

The One In The Middle Has A Roving Eye

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


It was just before Halloween and I was walking around Montreal when I stopped to photograph a street stall selling flowers. After taking a couple of shots with both my film and digital cameras, I noticed these pumpkins, tucked away in a corner. Not only did they seem almost to have a personality of their own, the one in the middle seemed to have a distinctly buccaneering attitude. Even though he was hampered with only one ``eye'', he was definitely the leader of the group. Maybe he had just had an eye-popping experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha! I really liked your description David! Buccaneering attitude, indeed! For a pumpkin, that should be a compliment, although I have yet to meet a pumpkin pirate!!

I assume this is one of those photos you took at Atwater Market?

cheers,
Cecilia

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cecilia,
I'm so glad you got a chuckle out of that. Interestingly, this wasn't at Atwater Market - it was a flower stall in the vicinity of the Maisonneuve statue. Literally about ten metres away from the statue, in front of the cathedral.
And I reckon if ever there was a pumpkin pirate, this was the one!
Cheers
David