Saturday, October 18, 2008

Look Sharp

Family Gathering Comes To A Point

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I thought I would choose a photograph that is, in many ways, representative of a cohesive family unit, rather than an actual image of family members. I shot this series of images about five or six months ago and while it might look as if they were shot with a macro lens, I was simply using a Sigma 18-125 lens that is my all-purpose favourite.

As someone who sketches and paints, I always have oils and watercolours and sketch pads handy in my study. I also have a couple of sets of these Derwent pencils which are nominally my property, although the Authorbloglets have been known to use them for projects and assorted purposes.


These shots were taken on a day when the clouds were scudding across the sky in a strong breeze - conditions that made it an interesting exercise. For a few brief moments, there would be full sunlight and I’d get a bit of "glisten" on the surface of the pencils. Then the breeze would move a set of clouds past the face of the sun and I’d get a period of great diffused light.


These Derwents are like every family I know. They all fit into the same place of residence, each is expended at a different pace, each has qualities different from the others, and each has its own rightful place in the array.

And like real-life families, they are all alike in broad definition, yet delightfully distinct as well. If you look carefully at the first shot, you'll also notice they each have different names and different identities.

Visit TNChick, creator of Photo Hunt. Today's theme: "Family".

36 comments:

tiarastantrums said...

these are pretty awesome!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Such a lovely way to share the joys of family! I love how you used the pencils to show a cohesive unit. Fantastic!

Please VISIT My PSF. Thank You!

Hilary said...

Well done.. and when do we get to see your sketches?

Weeksie50 said...

I love how you used the pencils to represent family..

Great post..

Casdok said...

What a lovely way to think of family.

Hilary said...

Yes, I too want to see some sketches. Please share! Great analogy, too.

Anonymous said...

You need another blog for your sketches.

And perhaps it is the teacher in me, but I love photos of crayons and colored pencils.

Maggie May said...

I will always think of family when I see coloured pencils from now on! I love the idea of the pencils all working together and yet being different members of a family.
Maybe you could put some of your artwork on display!

Daryl said...

Pointed comparison!

:-Daryl

Lee said...

Ooh! Colored pencils! What fun! David, I love the way you manage to make everyday objects fun and fascinating in your photos!

Cheers!

Katney said...

Great post, David. I am struggling with the theme, as I don't generally post people photos. When I do, they are usually beyond recognition (either old and don't look like that any more) or in some other way not easily identified (such as back view or blurred or distant. I may not struggle very hard, as I have responsibilities this weekend that impose on my blogging time.

Wendy said...

Love this analogy!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

David: Neat captures of all the pencils ready to go to battle with the paper. I'm sure the results are special.

Hannah said...

i'm so jealous-- I want your pencils! I have yet to master sketching with color, but I love using gray sketch pencils :D

cheshire wife said...

All present and correct. What a neat and tidy family you have.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. You should definitely share the sketches as well.

Cecily R said...

Okay, now I need to see some of your sketches and artwork!!

Leslie: said...

What a unique take on the theme. Well done, you! :D Mine won't be up for a while as it's only 2:30 pm Friday here! lol

Diane said...

VERY well said David. I especially love the bokeh shots. I am in a group, called Bokehrama (see on my sidebar). These shots would fit right in =)
Link is: http://www.flickr.com/groups/imageoutoffocus/pool

Sandi McBride said...

We always loved our colored pencils and our Ticonderoga number 2 lead pencils...can't draw a stick figure but love to color...even now...so, we're waiting for drawings now...
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Lovely family of pencils!

jams o donnell said...

Excellent shots. Such an inventive take on this week's theme!

Anonymous said...

my daughter will love this..

Jackie said...

Oh I love what you did with this theme. It is so creative. And my oh my haven't I used a ton of Derwent pencils.

Fantastic!!

Happy week end:-)

Evil Transport Lady said...

Now you made me want to start drawing again!

Great post, I often match colors to people, I thought I was just weird;)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your take on the theme!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is pretty good choice for the theme...

virtualjourney said...

Colourful post... we visited the factory in Keswick that produces these a few months ago.

i beati said...

fresh pencils - a dream

Anonymous said...

Very interesting take on the theme! Love it.

dixymiss said...

An artistic and colorful eXpression of family ~ perfect analogy! I love colored pencils. Around here, green is always the shortest stump in the tin.

Cindy said...

I love this picture of all those pencils lined up so neat and straight.
My Family

Leslie said...

Very clever and great photography David. I enjoyed reading that. ;)

Randi said...

I love your take on the theme!
And I love the Derwent pencils and I can´t live without them ;)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I may never look at a box of colored pencils {or crayons} in the same way! Such an interesting way to observe the family unit.

Louise said...

Love these shots. I can almost smell the pencils.