Monday, October 30, 2006

Can Witches Really Spell Halloween?

Another Hit For The Smashing Pump Kings



Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON

This timely post is for the benefit of my loyal readers in Canada and the United States. I shot these pictures in Montreal last year, at an open market. It was about a fortnight before Halloween, when I was photographing parts of the country for the Canadian Tourism Commission. It was almost 20 years since I was last in Canada at Halloween - and of course the decorated pumpkins caught my eye immediately.

The second shot is of pumpkin varieties that are better suited to lanterns than to edible purposes. I'm hoping Cecilia from Montreal (who asked about my picture of the Indian chief with the post The World's Slowest Indian, dated 10 October ) might be able to tell me where exactly this market is in Montreal. It is part indoors and part outdoors and I have the name in my notes - somewhere. Over to you, Cecilia ....

6 comments:

Benny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You might be referring to Atwater Market, David, although I am not very sure. But based on your description, I am fairly certain this is it. I was going to try and photograph some of the Halloween decorations of my neighbours here in Montreal, and many of them are pretty elaborate and creative, but the weather has been very bad these last few days and the sun has only come out today. Will post them on my blog if I do get the chance to... cheers!

david mcmahon said...

Thanks, Cecilia,
You are spot-on. The name Atwater Market rings a bell.
As I've only just got back from overseas, I haven't had time to check the details, but you've jogged my memory. I shot about 50 frames at the market on my last afternoon in Montreal.
What's the address of your blog? I'd love to have a look.
By the way, I'd love to run a couple of your Halloween decoration shots on my blog - if that suits you.
Do give me yr email address. If you don't want to post it here in an open forum, just send it to me thru Nirmal.
Many thanks, once again
David

Anonymous said...

Here is the URL of my blog.. If you scroll down, you will see some photos I took in NYC and some in Paris.

http://dancewithsun.blogspot.com/

I will ask Nirmal to send you my email address...

Happy to have you post some of my Halloween decor pics, if I do get around to taking them!

ciao,

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cecilia,
Visited your blog and really enjoyed it. I think you have a gift for telling a story, as well as a gift for photographic composition.
I really enjoyed the shot of the royal pagoda in silhouette against the dramatic sky; as well as the bolts of silk. Also the plate and wine glasses at the cafe.
I thought you told the story of the balloon seller effectively in just three lines, capturing the moment perfectly with simplicity and brevity.
Persist. Keep at it. You must continue to give expression to your talents.
Good luck.
David
PS Don't forget to send me a Halloween pic.

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
Thank you for the nice words! Now I am even more encouraged! I have to get you that Halloween pic, although I can see rain clouds gathering in the sky, so this could be a wet trick or treat evening! Nirmal said he already sent you my email address.

cheers,
Cecilia