Thursday, October 05, 2006

Corque's Crew Effect

Balloony Tunes: That's All, Folks!


Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

I thought this photograph would be the perfect way to illustrate how even the rugby heartland of Canberra can succumb to the ``other'' code, Aussie Rules. We were in the nation's capital last Saturday, in a cafe called Corque, on Franklin Street in Manuka - when I noticed one of the staff members putting up balloons in the blue-and-gold colours of the West Coast Eagles and the red-and-white of the Sydney Swans. Intrigued, I asked the cafe's charming owners, Pat and Julie, for permission to photograph the sight and they readily agreed. I confess that I forgot to ask them which side they would support in the Grand Final that afternoon. But the result - a historic one-point victory to the Eagles - would surely have won new converts to the Australian Football League in the Australian Capital Territory.

No comments: