Saturday, October 28, 2006

Devil-May-Clare Attitude

Gee, That's A Familiar Book, Innit?


Photographs copyright: CLARE MULVANY

As you would recall from my recent post Brought To Book, about my experience at the Oxford Book Store in Calcutta, I bumped into Clare Mulvany, who was kind enough to take some photographs for me - as I was otherwise engaged, signing books for the store. I have just returned to Melbourne and am sifting through a few hundred emails and SMSes - as you do, when you've been away for a while.

Clare was true to her word and has just emailed me some of the pictures she shot that evening. The first frame must have been taken at the front counter, while I was signing the books that were later displayed with a prominent ``Signed By The Author'' declaration emblazoned across them. Clare's second picture shows my debut novel, `Vegemite Vindaloo', published by Penguin Books India, at a rather interesting spot.

See where it has been placed on the store's special Top Ten display? Right up the top, at numero uno. All very thrilling for a simple Calcutta-born lad - especially since I used to be taken to this very same bookshop as a special treat during my childhood.

Clare, incidentally, is also writing a book of her own. Like me, she also travels with a camera and you can read her experiences at Exceptional Lives, a very lively blog.

Her email said: ``A pleasure to meet you. And delighted that I had a camera with me at this moment. Glad to be of service!!''

The pleasure is all mine, Clare. Good luck with your book and your blogging.

6 comments:

Fletch said...

Hmmm . . . all them books stacked neatly, brazenly showing off "david mcmahon" . . . must have been a spine-chilling moment?

Had to look twice at the picture, though. What a terrific background colour Clare managed to capture for the display. It blends so well with the page background that it gives a depth to a 2D image that was never meant to be there!

Pulled it off again, fella.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations (again) David on the buzz around your book. I saw it has got lots of good reviews. Found the book outline here:

http://www.margaretdeefholts.com/vegemitevindaloo.html

I'm glad this URL also includes your picture - you're looking great! It partly satisfied my curiosity as we haven't met since my NP graduation in 1970! :-) -Sandip Madan

Anonymous said...

Savage Johnny said

Ewe ave done good for a boy from Calcutta that doesn't need alcohol to get by. When I travelled with you some short years ago and we were in the wilds of Alaska you were always in a good and gregarious frame of mind. I genuinly thought you were on something (the water could have contained pure alcohol)but now I believe you are just a good bloke with a great sense of humour and goodness. Do you want my address for a complimentary copy of V V. that trip I took you on cost about 8 grand.

Luv ya work, Savo

david mcmahon said...

Spine-chilling - V E R Y nice one there, El Tel.
I bow to the master!

david mcmahon said...

Dear Sandip,
Gee, has it really been 36 years! We sound like a couple of right old codgers - even if we are eternally young at heart!
David

david mcmahon said...

Dear Savmeister,
Copy of the book will be winging its way to you shortly.
Yes, I did the right thing in Alaska - someone had to stay sober!
Cheers
David