Monday, October 23, 2006

Old Man River

Row, Row, Row, Your Boat

Took a nostalgic trip today, in more ways than one. My friend and former colleague, Mudar Patherya, the head of Trisys Communications, insisted that we take a river trip on a dinghy. I must confess that it was a new experience for me, even though The Strand was such an integral part of my childhood. We walked down the steps of the ghat to the waiting dinghy, which the boatman had manoeuvred close to shore. He navigated the vessel across the huge buoys - another familiar sight from my early years - and I was fortunate enough to get a couple of great shots of fishermen casting their nets, as well as pictures looking in both directions of the Howrah Bridge and the New Howrah Bridge that span the Hooghly in such impressive style. Then the boatman showed great dexterity in bringing his unpowered dinghy back - against the tide, mind you - to our starting point.

No comments: