Friday, September 01, 2006

Red-hot chilli poppers

GDP - that's growth domestic product

Does anyone know what this plant is? I spotted it in Bali, where it seems to grow fairly profusely. The blooms caught my eye because I like photographing quirky stuff - but I guess regular visitors to this blog would already be aware of that.

With the blossoms' vivid colour and the way they grow in clusters, they reminded me of Chinese firecrackers, even to the way they seem to be strung together.

The edge of each mature blossom is tinged with yellow which then begins to sprout miniature plumes, almost like a crab's pincers.

As you can see in the picture, one set of blossoms is more mature than the other. The plumes have formed on the blossoms on the left-hand side, while the other one, on the right, has only a couple that have sprouted on the bottom.

If any of you horticultural folk could help, that would be great. Or we could start by a canny process of elimination. Here goes. It's not a rose, it's not a crysanthemum, it's not a dahlia, it's not an azelea ....


9 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Good to hear from a cultured fella like you, Macca. I didn't even know that ginger plants had blooms.

david mcmahon said...

Thank you for that information, Shakila. As you know, that photograph was taken in Bali, so I guess it only grows in tropical climes. Lobster Claws is a great description, but thanks, too, for the botanical name. That's great information.

david mcmahon said...

This is a very delayed reaction, Shakila, but are you Reverend Kundu's daughter-in-law? If so, I remember you and Ranjit well. In fact, as you know, the Kundus have known my family for two generations, back from the time their father and mine worked for the Port Commissioners. I look foward to hearing from you ......
Warm regards to you and the entire family,
David

david mcmahon said...

What a small world, Shakila.

Yes, my Dad was the sort of person who loved visiting people, and many people have very fond memories of him. He was very fond of you and Ranjit and your daughter.

It's great to know you've ordered a copy of `Vegemite Vindaloo' - I'd welcome your comments about the book when you've finished it. If you could let me know in which bookshops you looked for the book, I'll let my publishers know.

Hope you enjoy the writing, and I hope you like the pictures I post on this blog.

By the way, I'm curious - how did you come across my blog?

david mcmahon said...

Let me know when you get the book!

Anonymous said...

Hey David! I have been out of town for a bit.Went off to chill out in Bangalore and Coorg. Took advantage of the lotus eating time to finish Vegemite Vindaloo. Loved the evocative way you portrayed Calcutta. I did find Steve rather bland, though. And there were far too many characters to contend with. I am sorry, I know I am being very critical here, but that really is my honest opinion. But over all, it is a relaxing, undemanding read - great for a holiday!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shakila,
I've only just seen your feedback on `Vegemite Vindaloo'. Really appreciate your candour. Glad you liked the Calcutta segment, though! Thanks for being so frank in your comments. Hope you had a good holiday and that you've been checking the blog occasionally!
Cheers
David

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add that the friends I stayed with in Bangalore borrowed your book to read. They have Calcutta associations too. And yes, I check out your blog everyday. Have it bookmarked as a favourite ( your's and Bill Bryson's website too ). I just love the pictures and reading your postings.....Am a fan, as I said earlier!!

Shaki.

david mcmahon said...

Very flattered to be mentioned in the same breath as Bill Bryson!