Monday, September 11, 2006

Jurassic Bark

In Melbourne, Spring Is In The Air

Photos copyright: DAVID McMAHON

The fruit trees around Melbourne have been like a cloudburst of colour for the past month, as the city emerges from winter. The cherry blossoms have come and gone like temporary pink froth. Now, just before the roses produce the first burst of early spring colour and perfume, the peach and quince trees are blooming. I stopped to photograph this tree, with its new green leaves and the white flowers, like snowy pom-poms. I took the first shot and then I noticed how the strong afternoon light was playing across the gnarled grey bark. I simply had to shoot the second frame. This time I made the tree bark the main point of focus, instead of the flowers. I'm sure you'll agree the second frame is a much better photograph, not just because of the variation in colour and texture, but because there is more of the brilliant blue sky as well.

No comments: