Saturday, September 16, 2006

All Systems Glow

This Is Literally A Bright Prospect


All photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I guess this series of three photographs says it all when it comes to the versatility of the Pentax K100 I'm testing at the moment, which has the compact 18-125 lens.

I took these shots on Thursday evening, when I just happened to be driving down a street at sunset. I quickly parked in the first spot I found and just thought I would make use of the trees and their foliage to fringe the pictures.

The first frame shows the entire streetscape and the golden glow down across the bitumen, illuminating the central white line on the road surface.

For the second shot, I opted for a much tighter composition. I was lucky, because the sun was just sinking into a low cloudbank. Even the overhead wires do not detract from the quality of the shot - I guess in a way they prove that the picture is shot spontaneously and is not contrived in any way.

In a way, my favourite is the third shot, the vertical composition. I was just lucky to have a tall tree on the right of the street and I only had to walk about 20 metres to use it to my advantage and give the shot some perspective, with the three or four low trees on the left.

This enabled me to get lots of sky into the frame, which in turn shows you the great quality of light here in Melbourne. The sky spans every colour, from gold at the bottom of the frame to azure up the top. And the interesting thing is that the light cloud up the top of the frame actually has a pink tinge to it.

Just a lucky series of shots, I reckon. What do you think? Let me know .....

And if you have (or have seen) some memorable sunrise or sunset pictures, tell me about them.

No comments: