Friday, December 22, 2006

Buy, Buy, Miss American Pine

Reflections Of A Summer Christmas

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

This one is dedicated to all my readers around the world who have been kind enough to keep visiting this simple blog. I wanted to take a shot that represented not just Christmas, but also Melbourne, the city that has been home to my family for almost two decades. This photograph was taken just after sunrise, and shows not only a close-up of the baubles on a giant pine tree at Southbank, but also the landmark orange-and-yellow exterior of Flinders Street Station. The station is one of the most distinctive landmarks in the city, and is named after the English mariner and explorer, Captain Matthew Flinders. But the shot (as you've no doubt noticed) has yet another element. Reflected clearly in the silver bauble is the interior of Southbank, the beautiful complex developed in the Nineties to bring another dimension to the city's graceful arts precinct.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,

For someone who said somewhere that he didn't have a musical background, or played an instrument, you have all kinds of music in your usage - 'Buy, buy, Miss American Pine?' - I can feel the rhythm in all of your titles, but particularly this one!! You have an 'ear' - you would have done wonderfully in Viva Voce, the bane of many a musician's formal education and experience!

david mcmahon said...

Thank you, as I bow to the applause ......

I'm not sure who wrote this comment, but believe me, if I do have a musical gene it is seriously recessive!

Cheers

David