Saturday, December 23, 2006

Goose Bumps

Peas On Earth, Goodwill To All

Okay, here's a Christmas confession, on behalf of me and Jeremy Cowper, my oldest friend and schoolmate who is now Charlotte, USA-based, with his wife Debbie and their three kids whom I've never met. I always steered clear of peas in Yuletide fare, while Jeremy boycotted the goose in 1966. Want to know why? Check out this simple story (originally written for today's Christmas Special in The Statesman) and re-published with an amazing accompanying display on Lisbon resident Terry Fletcher's website. Use this link AngloIndianPortal.com and just scroll down to the story, `The Great Christmas Surprise' and let me know what you think.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A touching story of love & goodness. And it was so exciting to see Jeremy Cowper after all these years. He looked the same at 10 as he did when he was at NP! You really are a gifted scribe, David McMahon - don't ever stop because you get bettter day by day!

david mcmahon said...

Dear Nowshir,
Glad you liked it. Thanks for taking the time, even amid your preparations to leave for Christmas.
Jeremy still looks pretty much the same and his son looks startlingly like him at the same age.
Have a safe trip. Speak to you over Christmas.
David

Anonymous said...

beautiful story, David, made me think of my own Christmas pasts, both the happy times and the sad ones...i loved it!
cheers,
Cecilia

Anonymous said...

David, that was simply, touchingly, wonderfully beautiful. I agree with what Billy said, don't ever stop writing. So glad you share that gift with us. Thank you and a wonderful Christmas to you and yours.

Shakila.

Fletch said...

In common with the other comments let me just add - "You write it and I'll publish it" - whatever, whenever . . . !

And thanks for the heartfelt comment you left with the story. Makes it all worthwhile, especially during this Season of Goodwill.

david mcmahon said...

Dear Cecilia,
The story, like everything else I write, came straight from the heart. I'm so glad you liked it. I think Terry's display (with the music, too) was incredible. I hope you and the girls have a great Christmas.
David

david mcmahon said...

Dear Shakila,
Billy and I have been close friends since we were 13. He's a great guy and a wonderful friend.
I guess you would appreciate the story even more because you were very close to my parents and you could relate to what I said about my Mum.
Love to you and the kids at Christmas.
David

david mcmahon said...

El Tel,
Most of the kudos go to you for the amazing presentation. You take the term ``webmaster'' to a new level.
It is my pleasure to write for you - and I really mean that.
Hope you and Maria have a wonderful Christmas, my friend.
David