Saturday, December 09, 2006

Yule Remember This Image

Star Light, Star Bright

This is probably the most appropriate time to post a picture like this one, as we remember the Yuletide story of the three wise men and how they followed a star.
Actually, I took this shot in Melbourne, not Bethlehem, but it's just a handy Christmas image, I reckon. The glow in the sky is not a star; it is the mid-afternoon sun. And the spires at the bottom of the frame are the Cathedral on Flinders Street.
The wires and down-lights that criss-cross the frame provide a handy pattern for the photograph, but they are simply the overhead lights at Federation Square, built to commemorate the centenary of Australian Federation in 1901.
In a way, I guess they add to the attraction of the photograph, rather than detracting from it.
This picture has not been enhanced or digitally modified in any way. Nor did I use any special-effects setting on the camera. It was simply taken in ``landscape'' mode. No tricks. No gadgets. No gizmos.
What you see here is simply what I shot. Remember when we were kids and people told us never to point a camera at any bright light? I guess this frame shows you can do it - and use it to good effect.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Particularly nice picture David..

david mcmahon said...

Hi Nirmal,
Just got back to Melbourne, a tinder-dry city at the moment.
Thought you might like that picture. Don't you fly out in a few days?
David

Anonymous said...

David,

I love this picture! It really brings to mind that night in Bethlehem when the three Kings followed ths star, to meet the child Jesus. These stories were always made more real during Christmas time, especially when I was a little girl!

cheers,
cecilia

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cecilia,
Great to hear from you. I'm so glad you liked this shot. I reckon it's pretty special. Maybe that's why Christmas gets a mention in my novel, too - and the real meaning of Christmas, not the retail angle!
Cheers
David