Saturday, December 23, 2006

Oxford's Collar

`Vegemite Vindaloo', The Surprise Bestseller

While I come to terms with the fact that my debut novel has been on the bestseller lists since July, I was invited to write the ``story behind the story'' for a popular, lively publishing website. I am extremely grateful for the forum and the invitation from Satarupa Ray, the content editor at Apeejay Oxford Bookstores Pvt Ltd. If you'd like to get my point of view on how the novel came about and how the characters took shape and why the women are so much stronger than the men, go to OxfordBookStore.com and let me know what you think. You can contact me through the Oxford website, or by leaving a comment here. My very humble thanks for all your support.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos!! Can't wait to read the book myself, David. Because I'm sure the surprise element in it will surprise me as much as that in the "story behind the story".

Rene.

david mcmahon said...

Dear Rene,
Thank you for your comment and your loyal support. Funny how the Darjeeling connection is always such a strong bond, across the decades and across the continents. Hope you and the family have a memorable Christmas.
David

Anonymous said...

David, congratulations once again. This book is on my 'must read' list! It's such a brilliant achievement, and you must be very proud. But more than that....it just sounds like a 'ripping good yarn'! :) Lynne.

david mcmahon said...

Dear Lynne,
Yes, I am proud - but there is also a sense of unreality to it all. Almost as if someone's going to say: ``Smile, you're on Candid Camera''.
It is a very simple story but maybe its simplicity is the reason it has touched people.
Do let me know what you think of it after you've read it.
Merry Christmas
David