Tuesday, September 11, 2007

It's Just A Facade

No Arch Anemies Here, Mate

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


This archway is opposite South Yarra station here in Melbourne. Whenever I drive past it, I notice that the colours and the shadows look different, according to the weather and the time of day. I often wonder which builder or team of builders created this pattern - and if they ever imagined that some photographer would still be intrigued by it, more than a century later. Just shows that the work of a true artisan is always ageless. I guess that applies to all walks of life, don't you reckon?

8 comments:

dr. filomena said...

Thank you for sharing, David. Art truly is ageless. When travelling and visiting museums I find myself wondering time and again how little human perception of art and beauty has changed over several millenia.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dr Filomena,

How nice to see you visiting again. One visit from a new friend is always great, but two means the start of a friendship.

Thank you for that wonderful comment. Yes, John Keats was right when he wrote ``a thing of beauty is a joy forever''.

Cheers

David

Prashanth M said...

Very true - art is ageless. Thanks for sharing

david mcmahon said...

Hi Prashanth,

Thank you. It is absolutely ageless.

Cheers

David

lime said...

my goodness but that is an intricate bit of stonework. and right you are, agelss, timeless, beautiful. a very fine example of excellence.

~nm said...

It surely is beautiful!!

Lin said...

Your photo and observations immediately reminded me of my mesas and I realized that both man and nature can create enduring and fascinating works of art. Beautiful craftsmanship in that arch, beautiful shot.

FHB said...

Cool Romanesque design. love it.