Friday, September 14, 2007

Telling Write From Wrong (Part 2)

Gotta Go With The Flow

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Thank you for all those wonderful comments on yesterday's post, the first in this daily series. Hats off to Eve, who wrote more than five thousand words yesterday for her forthcoming novel, Rebel's Ascent. That sort of output is really prodigious and anyone who finds the time to top the 5000-word mark in a day is doing a superb job. That, in turn, leads me to a question I often get asked by writers, who always want to know how to maintain their writing flow.

Today's tip: Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

No one can tell you that your output must be 1000 words or day or 1356 words a day. Why? Because creativity is not a finite science.

Two colleagues of mine, both very good journalists who began novels only to put them aside, asked me what sort of target I set myself each day. My reply was simple. My wife and children are my first priority - always have been, always will be. Writing novels is important to me, but it is not a crucial part of my life. I confessed that my sworn target is simply 300 words a day.

They were obviously surprised. Yes, I admitted, it's just a small target - but it's a realistic target. There are days when I simply don't have time, between working full-time and doing all the things that fathers do, to write 300 words a day for my next novel. But I can make up for it the next day. And when you think about it, 300 words a day adds up to a tad over 9000 words a month. Pretty impressive when you look at it that way.

That's the approach I took when I wrote my first novel, Vegemite Vindaloo. And that's what I'm doing as I write my second novel, Muskoka Maharani. Writing a novel (or any book for that matter) must never take over your life completely. You should leave yourself enough space to enjoy the other pleasures of life, and it helps if you return to the manuscript because you want to, not because you have to. That is what keeps creativity alive.

Finally, there is no "correct" wordage on a daily basis. A steady output works for some people, while bursts of frenetic writing interspersed with several days away from the plot works for others. You write what you want to write, when you want to write.

22 comments:

b. said...

Such great advice, thanks David!

John said...

And the time away from your writing can actually help the procees along too. You may experience something in the rest of your life that can lead to an inspiration, or a waterfall of ideas.

david mcmahon said...

Hi B,

If I can encourage other writers along the way, then that will be my true reward.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day whodatdare,

You are so right. That's where inspiration comes from.

Keep smiling

David

Pijush said...

Hi David,

Again a good advice, now I am really enjoying the series. Thanks for sharing so valuable experiences in free.

Cheers,
Pijush

david mcmahon said...

Hi Pijush,

So glad it was useful. I would like to help as many writers as possible ....

Keep smiling

David

dr. filomena said...

Love the photo, LOVE the expression (and use it frequently, believe it or not... even when speaking Slovenian to Slovenians) as it summarizes what is *the* attitude to life in my book and that's some great advice. Not just for writers, but for anyone in what we call 'kreativa', i.e. a line of 'business' where one needs to be highly creative as opposed to simply productive.

Smiling right back at ya
Alenka

lime said...

well, the method certainly seems to have worked for you. not that i have any plans to write a novel (i don't) but it just seems to me that any while creative pursuit, whether writing or painting or whatever needs to have some sort of discipline to it that ultimately there should be joy in the process. otherwise, why bother. seems you knwo how to keep the joy in writing and in life. an excellent balance.

Unknown said...

>>You should leave yourself enough space to enjoy the other pleasures of life, and it helps if you return to the manuscript because you want to, not because you have to. That is what keeps creativity alive.<<

Too true. You pour out your creativity on paper (or computer), so you need to refill the creative tank.

My word count goes by spurts. Many days it's nothing. If I've written anything down or mulled over a solution to a plot kink, I feel that I have accomplished something. I'm still moving forward.

I liked the emphasis on priorities. It is so easy to get obsessed.

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

Thank you for your wisdom and encouragement. I also happen to really like the shot of the faucet that introduces this post. Great perspective, David!
Much appreciated,
Lindsay

Wanda said...

This is wonderful advice for the novice or the experienced writer. I will be passing this good advice blog along to my friends. Thanks David.

Mark Goodyear said...

David, awesome blog, man. I've seen your picture in other people's comment sections, but Eve finally sent me here.

I have a "writing day" goal, but I'm pretty flexible about not making every day a writing day. Ultimately, novel writing is a kind of hobby that costs time rather than money. Maybe someday that hobby will pay off. But I certainly don't want to drain the joy from my writing by presuming to shoot for the bestseller's list.

I figure if I just write something true and entertaining, that's good enough to pass the time.

little things said...

David, I've learned to write just a portion of a chapter if that is where my inspiration stops.
I do not choose to feel guilty if it isn't 'there' on a particular day or two.
THe days I can't write, I write by hand in my notebook, adding ideas that I need to go back into the typed manuscript to add.

Lin said...

David, that was a wonderful bit of literary advice gratefully received.

Please stop by when you can and see why I wish to relinquish my spot on your wonderful list to someone else for the unforeseeable future. You have been a great source of encouragement for me and I thank you so!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dr Filomena,

Glad you liked the post and that we have empathy tere again. I did like the expression ``kreativa''.

Thank you for that observation.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lime,

You are SO SO right on that. There has to be joy in any creative process, or it isn;t worth the effort.

And yes, it's all about maintaining a balance. I agree entirely.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Eve,

We absolutely see eye-to-eye on that one. It's like anything else, isn;t it - all about priorities and finding joy in creativity.

Do keep in touch

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lindsay,

Always happy to encourage and to help nurture talent.

I'm so glad you enjoy the faucet picture - it just occurred to me when I was at work, so I grabbed the camera and went into the kitchen to take the shot!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Wanda,

Thank you. I'm glad it was helpful. Thank you for those very generous words.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Mark,

Thank you for your kind words, thank you for visiting and thank you for taking Eve's advice to come here.

That was exactly my attitude while I was writing my first novel. I didn;t allow it to take over my life. In fact, I put it aside for a few years while my kids were growing up. No regrets about the choice.

I'll always be able to write novels, but my kids won;t always be little.

Thank you once again and do keep in touch.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Itsthelittlethings,

..... and you, my friend, have just given me the inspiration for my next post on Telling Write From Wrong!

Watch this space ....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

I'm so glad the advice was useful - but you are such a gifted writer that you seem to have it all under control.

Will definitely drop by your blog. Was there a coupla hours ago ...

Keep smiling

David