Monday, September 24, 2007

Hard-Boiled Approach

Green Eggs And Ham (And A Great Rhyme, Sam)

A New Hampshire federal judge was driven to rhyme after receiving a hard-boiled egg in the mail from a prison inmate protesting against his diet. District Court Judge James Muirhead reached for Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham" for inspiration after getting the egg from inmate Charles Jay Wolff. "I do not like eggs in the file," Muirhead wrote. "I do not like them in any style. I will not take them fried or boiled. I will not take them poached or broiled. I will not take them soft or scrambled/Despite an argument well-rambled." He then ordered the egg destroyed: "No fan I am/Of the egg at hand. Destroy that egg! Today! Today! Today I say! Without delay!"

FOOTNOTE: I could rhyme, if I had the time.

6 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

This gave me such a chuckle. My husband proposed to me by rewriting the words to Green Eggs and Ham (using post it notes over the original text). Ah, how creativity abounds!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Sheesh, and I thought our Judges were meant to be barking!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Kimberly,

Now THAT is a post I want to see on your blog.

Your version

And his version.

How about it?

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Obviously a case of the er, wigs and Tories!

Keep smiling

David

Brian in Oxford said...

Seuss Geisel went to college at Dartmouth in the early 1920s. The New Hampshire judge was quick to pick up on a local literary hero!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

We need more judges like this man. He's wise AND fun.