Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Darth Invader

A Shadow Of His Former Self

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON

Sometimes the strangest things catch my attention. Shapes, shadows, patterns, unusual angles, objects in low light, objects in harsh light - you get my drift, don't you? It's all about experimentation. So a few hours ago, I looked out the window at work and saw this great angular shadow cast by the sun in a cloudless mid-morning sky.
I had to use the zoom to compose this shot, so that the two buildings on either side were completely excluded from the frame. Using the 18-125 lens on my Pentax K100D, I was able to shut out everything else and concentrate just on the white, black and blue of the central image.
It's not the easiest thing to do, shooting through a none-too-pristine office window, I was still pretty pleased with the result.
I was turning away to return to my desk, when I suddenly realised there was an even better shot just waiting to be taken.
That's when I took the vertical frame you see at left. Just the minor depth of extra perspective brings a bigger palette of those three colours - and the other added advantage is that you can see the bottom of the reflection, which immediately brings to mind the thought that it is somehow menacing and Darth Vader-like.
I guess that's why I love photography, hey!

9 comments:

Fletch said...

There is no doubt that the digital age and the internet complement each other admirably. The ability to post pix, almost as soon as you've taken them, is a real bonus.

Can you imagine waiting for film to be developed and printed, filtering through the prints, scanning the one(s) you want, probably losing definition in the process . . . etc. etc.?

As usual, interesting compositions and enjoyable for the viewer. But your 'imagination' is also a plus factor. You see 'Darth Vader' in your viewfinder; I would probably have only seen a bloody shadow that I wanted to remove! I guess that's the difference. So, keep on 'snapping'.

In retrospect, the the use of that word is almost an insult. Sorry!

david mcmahon said...

Hi El Tel,

Could not agree with you more. This blog would have been a very different product, were it not for my Pentax.

Thank you for the comment and especially for using the word ``composition''. Yes, in a nutshell, that is exactly what I enjoy doing.

I did like your comment that I see Darth Vader where others might only see an annoying shadow.

Naaaah, that word's no insult. Not from you, squire.

Must run ....

Love to Maria

David

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

That eye of yours again, David! Wonderful.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shrink,

Thanks for that. A couple of my colleagues were going: ``Darth Vader?'' but when I pointed out the shape of the shadow, they went in chorus: ``Oh, yeeaaaaaaah!''

David

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Nice photos! It's amazing how something as common and mundane as the side of an office building can become the subject of a piece of art.

(Another) David
davids-pics.blogspot.com

david mcmahon said...

Thanks David,

That's a very generous comment. Coming from another photographer, I really appreciate that.

Will be back to visit your site again.

Cheers

David

SandipM said...

The others have said it all. Good puns, and when you drew attention to it I saw Darth clearly and marveled. Keep it up!
-Sandip

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sandip,

Thanks for your generous words. I was just lucky with that shot.

David