Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wait For Your Tern

Oi, Bank Manager, Where's My Nest Egg?

Photograph copyright: GAUTHAM MANOHAR


These shots were sent to me by Siddharth Khandelwal, a young photographer from New Delhi whom I have never met but whose work I admire. These shots of River Terns were taken, in his words, ``at the bird sanctuary called Ranganatittu which is on the way to Mysore from Bangalore. The River Tern is found along rivers in India, Pakistan and Thailand etc. Its eggs are greenish in colour with brown markings on them.''

His caption for the first picture - taken by his friend, Gautham Manohar - is ``Now, where did I put the car keys'' and if you look carefully at the shot, you'll see why it's so apt. Observe the angle of the bird's head, and where its right foot is.

The second shot (see below) is by Siddharth and it's only when you see the yellow beak and the flash of black, that you realise there is a female Tern in the middle of the frame - as she sits on her eggs.


Photograph copyright: SIDDHARTH KHANDELWAL

6 comments:

Jaipreet Singh said...

Excellent pics Siddharth and Gautham!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Jaipreet,

I could not agree more. They are terrific pictures.

Thanks for taking the trouble to visit and to leave a comment.

Cheers

David

Mega said...

These are great pictures. Thank you for the kind words you left on my blog. I'm playing catch up with reading everyone's, this one included.

Anonymous said...

Dear David,

thanks for featuring my pic of the 'forgetful tern'

I find it amazing how perfectly shaped these little creatures are, not a feather in the wrong place!!!

P.S - your blog on the dog that 'sat' on the lunch box was really funny. I read it while I was supposed to be working in office, and had a stupid grin on my face for quite a bit after that.

david mcmahon said...

G'day Dan,

Wish I'd taken those pictures. They were terrific.

I'm always happy to leave words of sincere advice and encouragement on other people's blogs.

That's what it's all about.

Take care

David

david mcmahon said...

Hu Gautham,

No problem. They were great pictures. And you can actually see the sheen on the plumage - like you say, they are perfect living specimens.

Glad you liked the story about the dog on the tuckerbox. Nice to know it brought a smile to your face at work!

There's always a bit of fun on this blog. Not too much serious stuff - I leave that for the newspapers.

Look forward to featuring more of your work.

Take care

David