Sunday, April 15, 2007

Red Letter Day

On The Hunt For Signs Of Autumn

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Unlike the rest of the world, where photographers are out cataloguing signs of spring, I'm looking to prove that it's autumn Down Under. This was a shot I took in Sydney, while I hunted for signs that autumn is well and truly here. One quiet afternoon, I spotted a small, solitary red leaf and immediately saw the perfect angle from which to photograph it. I wanted a single frame comprising the leaf as a central point, the other green leaves in a cluster, and the weathered bark of the tree trunk, mottled by a combination of strong sunlight and shade.

6 comments:

Buscador said...

Oh I love fall. It's my favorite season! I love the trees changing colors and the weather is so lovely. I'd love to switch places with you right now! It's been stormy and gross over here all week (although today looks promising for once). Enjoy the season! :-)

Jenera said...

Early fall is a great time with all the changes. Kind of like spring.

I went in to see if I had gotten your message on the 10th or so but I didn't see it! I am not sure why not but I don't have anything from you. How strange!

Jenera

Bart said...

It's spring around here? Could have fooled me. *bundles up some more*

david mcmahon said...

Hi Buscador,

Yes, nothing like fall colours. The weather is mild now and the long, hot, dry summer is past - all we need is rain.

Swap places? Naaaah, not right now!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Jenera,

Yes, I know what you mean about early fall. And with all the changes you three have made, I guess that's like fall in a way, too.

I was very concerned about your post on the 10th - which is why I left a very long, very ``chin-up'' message with regard to everything that was happening around you at the time.

How strange that the comment never surfaced. Still, I just want you to know we were all thinking of you.

Take care and continue to enjoy and cherish your family.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

You must live in Melbourne - we literally get four seasons in one day here!!

David