Saturday, April 14, 2007

Go Left To Keep Right

In The Outback, Ya Need A Sense Of Direction

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON



On the way back from Sydney, you need to pull off the Hume Highway just outside Albury to visit one of the most famous sights in the Outback. I'm talking about the Ettamogah Pub, based on the cartoon series by Ken Maynard. I had to crane my neck to get the first of these two shots - and even then, it's not quite right. I wanted the arched red tin roof, the clear blue sky, the moon clearly visible, and the yellow sign on the roof.

Look carefully at the (almost obscured) arrow on the `Keep Right Mate' sign - and you'll see that it points left. The best way I can explain that to you is the quirky Australian sense of humour, whereby a bloke with red hair is calld Bluey, and a six-footer is called Shortarse.

The second picture is taken behind the pub, on the way to the well-stocked souvenir shop. The last line on the hand-painted sign, in the soft shadows of a nearby gum tree, is great advice if you're thinking of putting up a fight!

6 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

This made me smile, I encountered several of these watering holes, when I was driving through Snowy mountain, many years ago.

Ah,happy days..

david mcmahon said...

G'day Shrink,

I knew you'd like that post. You, my English friend, are really an Aussie deep down.

You really must post some of your Aussie yarns on that wonderful blog of yours. Would love to read the narration.

By the way, did you ever read `The Man From Snowy River'?

Take care.

David

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Brilliant poem, as I recall..

As for my Aussie exploits... best kept hidden, methinks...

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shrink,

Brilliant poem. And I was struck by the similarity between his poetry and that of the Canadian poet, Robert Service.

Take care

David

Marianne said...

Oh, I miss the Maynard cartoons from the POST magazine - Dang, I'm sure it was in the Post, or could it have been People? My childhood memory is a bit fuzzy these days. But I introduced my american husband to the Ettamogah Pub sanctuary ten years ago. We got mugged by the wallabies and kangaroos for seed feed, and when Bob went to offer the last of his bag to a old man roo underneath a big old tree near the end, the roo started to get up, up and up until his ears topped Bob's six foot height. I quietly told Bob to slowly place the bag on the ground and back away slowly. We made a quietly hasty exit while the roo nosed around in the comparatively tiny baggie on the ground. Whew! I had to explain what kind of damage a kangaroo can do with his hind legs when he's pissed. Now Bob has a new healthy respect for 'roos and their prehistoric hind toes. :-D

Marianne

david mcmahon said...

Hi Marianne,

Yes, they ran for years in `The Australasian Post' - those would be collectors' copies now.

Love the story of your encounter with the roo. Yep, you wouldn't want to hassle one of them when they're in a cantankerous mood.

Loved the story.

David