Sunday, April 15, 2007

Shake On It

Basic Advice Is Always Relevant Advice

I've had the privilege of working with many inspirational journalists, one of whom was a brilliant young cricket writer called Mudar Patherya, who now heads his own Calcutta-based company, Trisys Communications.

He and I have never lost touch and a few days ago, I received this email from him: ``One day in `Sportsworld' you told me you judged an individual by the firmness of his handshake, the eye-to-eye contact and the shine on his shoe. Now I want you to see the scanned stuff that I chanced upon in a book called ‘Success’ which I bought from Bangkok last week.''

Naturally, I went to the attached scan immediately.

``Get a good handshake,'' is the advice from Brian Lamb, founder and CEO of C-SPAN, ``you'll never forget the handshake of a person if it's bad. Shine your shoes. First thing I notice when someone comes in is the handshake ... and are their shoes shined.''

And on the same page of the book, Susan RoAne, writer and communications coach, writes: ``Eye contact and being in the moment are critical''.

Up the top of the page is the great message: ``Don't think that computers and cell phones have diminished the importance of physical presence''.

Thank you, Mudar, for einforcing a message that has never - and will never - go out of fashion.

6 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Common sense, eh?

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shrink,

I guess that just about sums it up. What we learnt from our parents, really - and (just like good manners) it never goes out of fashion!

Take care

David

Anonymous said...

I always seem to notice if someone's shoes are dirty - especially a guy's! Perhaps it's because my father was once in the army and never got away from the perfectly shined shoes - he was such a sweetie, he would offer to shine his daughters' shoes too, for special occasions! That's because no one could do better than him at that job!

Carol M.

Must also have something to do with the head-to-toe grooming thing that was such a part of earlier eras.

Recently my son landed the job he wanted in southern California, and told me he did make the special effort of shining his shoes!! (He turned 30 at Christmas!) He has a good handshake too,having 'palmed' enough basketballs in his time and developed a lot of strength in those 'good hands' that were frequently covered by sportswriters in our neck of Hoosier country in the '90's!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Definitely a link there to a Calcutta upbringing. And yes, I know a certain father who still poslishes the shoes of his three children!

I love the story of your son shining his shoes in CA. Like any good basketball player, he would have had a great grip, I'm sure.

Say hi to Neil for me.

David

Anonymous said...

David,

Got the google alert on my name in your blog. Thank you ever so much for including the quote!

I have even spoken in Melbourne and was quite smitten with it.

Best, Susan RoAne

david mcmahon said...

Dear Susan,

A pleasure to hear from you. I always credit quotes - part of my training as a professional journalist!

I can understand how you were smitten by Melbourne. The next time you're coming here, let me know.

Cheers

David