Friday, April 27, 2007

Here’s Some Light Entertainment

Same Time, Same Place, But Spot The Difference

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Here are a couple of photographs, taken from exactly the same spot, almost four weeks apart. I was standing near the tram stop opposite Flinders Street station a couple of days after five months of Daylight Saving ended on the last weekend in March. I was intrigued by the light and shade and the sunlight reflected on the saddleback-shaped building in the background. Look at the clock and you’ll see it was 6.45am.

Then on Tuesday (24 April) I just happened to be in the same spot at about 6.40am. The weather was identical, a clear morning with no cloud. Because I had my camera with me, I waited until exactly 6.45am and took the shot below. Same place. Same time. Same weather. But look at the difference in the light – the cars even have their lights on. And of course, the station facade is lit by floodlights in the second shot.

Since the sun rises about a minute later every morning, it just shows what a difference 26 days can make.

12 comments:

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Hi David, in my profile is my email...Email me...it's about the Google/Blogger Help boards...and feel free to delete this comment!

Cuckoo said...

Hi David,

Remember me ? We were tagged by Mur for that Thinking Blogger's Award.
And here you have this nice thinking comparison. :)

I am from Delhi, now in Mumbai. Know what ? Though I have been to many countries around the globe, I am yet to see Calcutta(Kolkata), your city. :)

BTW, thanks for dropping by my blog. Keep coming.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bonnie,

Have emailed you. Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cuckoo,

Yes, I seldom forget a blogger. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

I figured you had a Delhi connection, after I saw the reference to Nirula's!

I know Mumbai really well, as we have many close friends there. However, it's been three years since we were in that fair city.

You must visit Calcutta/ Kolkata one day.

Good luck with your blog and if there's anything I can do, just let me know.

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

Dear David,
the difference is awesome, the second shot can pass for evening easily.

Like the setting sun every day, everything's the same, but nothing is, huh?

david mcmahon said...

Hi Gautham,

You and I think the same way. It's amazing what a difference there is between the two pictures.

Cheers

David

Bart said...

It's the bird! That's the difference! ;)

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

That's really clever.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

btw, what is tagging?
Someone tagged me last week... and I don't know what it means! HELP! What do I do?

Bob :@0

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

There's nothing better than our Aussie birds!

Cheers, dude

David

david mcmahon said...

Thanks, BTBear

I'm glad you liked that.

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi BTBear,

Just seen your other message - tagging is basically someone linking to your blog and saying ``pass on the tag by linking to someone else''.

Congratulations on the tag.

Cheers

David