Sunday, May 27, 2007

Number Rhumba

A One-In-A-Million Coincidence

So you think you have a story of great coincidences? Forgive me, but it is my very humble assertion that you ain't seen nuthin' yet. When my wife traded in her car for a new model a few years ago, I went with her to the dealership and listened as the sales manager detailed all the electronic gadgetry on the car. He explained that all she needed was to remember a special code if the car's security system was ever disabled. My attention was arrested as soon as he told us the code.

It was my date of birth, in the exact order of day, month and year.

I thought that was strange. Since all the paperwork for the purchase was in my wife's name, how on earth did the sales team have my details? "How did you know my date of birth?'' I asked him, astonished.

But he was even more startled. He explained that since it was an imported car, the codes were set overseas, on the assembly line. It was just a sheer coincidence that the car had been allotted to us. Mathematically, the probability was one in several million, because you don't just compute the chances of the digits falling in precise sequence, you also have to take into account the number of cars made of that particular model.

For more amazing coincidences in my life, check Fate Accompli.

10 comments:

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Mum went to Poland in 1991. She wanted to send a postcard to her aunt while she was there, but couldn't remember her door number, only her street.
She decided the door number was 95. (It isn't. It's 297.)

So she put 95, and posted it.

It went to number 95 of a completely different street name in a different town.

But on the day it arrived, her cousin was visiting. The house-owners, amazed, gave her the postcard and said, "I think this is for your mum!"

SPOOKY!

& I swear on my beads, this is true!

Deborah Gamble said...

David and B.T.-

These are amazingly weird stories!!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I'm with Deborah,

Those tales are simply down right SPOOKY!

david mcmahon said...

HI BTBear,

That's an amazing story. That beats my yarn, hands down.

Pleas post that story on your site. It is just amazing.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Debbie,

BTBear's is in a class of its own.

Say hi to DH for me. Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Funny thing is - it keeps happening to me, all the time.

Cheers

David

Sam said...

gosh!! now dats wot i call coincidence!!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

Truth really is stranger than fiction!

Cheers

David

karoline in the morning said...

and......so....you MUST have gotten a major discount seeing's how that auto was only ever meant for you....

right?

k

;)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Karoline,

I wish! But I do remember that the salesman was as startled as I was!

Cheers

David