Friday, May 11, 2007

Star Tech

Missing Links. (Where Did They Go?)

Here’s a query I got asked during the week – it’s a variation on a fairly common theme among bloggers.

I have a question regarding my blog's list of incoming links. Although my blog has at least 20 incoming links, Technorati only recognises four. Why is that?

There is a well-informed discussion thread at Google Blogger Help. However, to the best of my knowledge, there are two specific reasons that could be the cause. First, Technorati's ranking system measures the number of blogs, not the number of links those blogs provide. This means if two blogs each include five links to you, Technorati will credit you with two links, not 10.

Second, while Technorati is geared to index full content from blogs, this only apllies to full-content feed from respective bloggers. If this is not the case, Technorati indexes the HTML on the front page. If bloggers have linked to you ``after the jump'' (ie, not on the front page) the link will not be recognised.

2 comments:

Papoosue said...

I'm sorry David but I've tagged you.(I had to, I was tagged first!) Post seven weird things about yourself, then tag four other people - or don't. No pressure either way.

david mcmahon said...

G'day Papoosue,

My pleasure. Thank you for the tag. Watch this space ....

Keep smiling

David