Tuesday, May 15, 2007

H€adlines & D€adlines

Bond Girls Needed For Britain's SISterhood

Pointing out stories you may have missed. Real-life Bond girls are wanted - to work for MI6. The Secret Intelligence Service has started emphasising its family-friendly credentials in a bid to sign up more female spies, reports The Sun. It insists that having children is no bar to a career in the organisation - headed by Dame Judy Dench as M in the James Bond films. The SIS website now has a section called Women In SIS. And it reassures potential recruits that while staff go undercover, they do not have to venture under the covers. One frequently asked question by prospective female employees is, "Will I be used as a honey-trap?" - bedding male targets. The SIS replies: "Absolutely not. And, with few exceptions, partners and children can accompany officers on postings."

News source: Ananova.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

no honey traps, but now family traps...? Reminds me of this joke... "Mum, are you awake yet??".

Family-friendly spying - what will they think of next??

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ozlady,

Remember the old `Spy vs Spy' cartoons? I think they were in Mad magazine.

David

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Oh boy, oh boy, I'm packing as I type. Always fancied myself in one of those roles (face it, I'm well enough qualified)!

Cheers, David!

Doug said...

Bond..PermaBond. Bond..Bond Bond. No thanks I'm cutting down on sweets.

Cheers,
Doug

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Okay, so here's the deal. If you're going to join MI6, I want you to blog about your experiences - al of 'em!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Doug,

Nice work. Stout hearted approach indeed - and a terrific one-line to boot!

Cheers

David

Mrs Mac said...

Great. Once again "employing women" is synonomous with "employing mothers".

When I worked in London, I lost count of the potential employers and work agencies who automatically asked me how many kids I had, or did I have any YET.

The problem isn't just that employers take it for granted that kids will be a problem (which this ad thinks it's addressing), but that they believe kids are inevitable.

Not all women have -or want- kids.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Helena,

Such a valid point. Some employers - in every country, mind you - seem to be living in the Dickensian era.

Just when we celebrate the fact that we embrace the idea of being a lucid-thinking society, along comes an employer with feet of clay.

It can only get better.

Cheers

David