Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Star Tech

Adding An Extra Dimension To Your Blog

A few days ago, I was asked by a Singapore-based blogger, OzLady, to have a look at her site and give her some feedback. I’ve decided to post an edited version of my reply – because the advice is relevant to many of the good blogs and bloggers out there.

Can you please tell me how to improve my blog?

I reckon you do it right, on many levels. Your posts are always well edited, they’re lucid and they span an interesting variety of subjects. I’ve gone a long way back, into your older posts – and they’re all consistent and well presented.

I’m a journalist, so I’m not going to make this a whitewash. I’d like to see you take this blog up a notch or two. Introduce some more elements on your pages, because you did a terrific job with the graphic that accompanied the drumming posts. It was concise, clean, colourful – and easy to follow.

Try more often to break up your text with more graphics or photographs. Have camera, will travel. I enjoyed the candid picture that you posted when talking about the child experimenting with the self-timer. Carry the camera with you sometimes (or always, if it’s small enough to fit into a handbag) and use your shots with your posts. You will immediately project an extra, crucial element – and it’s so easy to do. Don’t follow what others do. Use your camera in a way that interests you – that’s what makes a blog unique.

You have an interesting site. Use your camera as an extension of a) your keyboard and b) your thought process. I look forward to the results.

14 comments:

Chertiozhnik said...

Lucid? Drat.

Bart said...

How do I improve my blog David? Besides getting a new author. Everyone else has given me that advice. :D

Anonymous said...

Since getting that advice [thank you David - much appreciated], I've worked out some things as well...

1. Tell people about your blog. I think that most people who read authorblog are a single community, however I occasionally search for blogs on topics that I have posted recently and make comments on them that link back to mine. It also gives me ideas for more content.

2. Read other people's blogs - it gives you ideas for writing and assists in determining what writing style works and what doesn't. Everyone here is probably familiar with Deb's Uncommon Notions - brilliant writing and a wonderful style. As I work in a foreign [to me] environment, I also think that being aware of how things are written here and what appeals locally is also important.

That's all - and really, thanks for the advice David. I've a long road ahead of me before I get 20K visitors, but it's helped!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chertmeister,

Wasn't that a Lennon-McCartney song? Lucid in the Sky With Diamonds?

Hmm, I'll use that as a blogpost title ....

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart-Man,

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to improve your blog! Sack the people who tell you it's time to swap authors.

But if you pose a serious question, you jester, let me know .... and I'll search for an answer.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi OzLady,

Absolutely perceptive and to the point. I could not agree with you more.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

Now dat leaves me wondering about mine!!!! :?

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

I'm always ready to help. Just let me know if you want me to review your blog ....

Cheers

David

Bart said...

Naw, I wasn't serious, only throwing my self-deprecation at you. Now, if you actually had advice, that'd be different. I'd probably heed any advice if you had actually had some, even if I asked in a joking fashion. No, my only main concern at this point is audience, and that's nothing I can magically change, only have to keep plugging along and getting more people in to the circle.

karoline in the morning said...

always looking for new tips david..thanks for advising ..

k

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart-Man,

No worries at all. I like your style and that is your greatest attribute.

You have a terrific site and if I ever find a magic wand, I shall mail it to you!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Karoline,

My pleasure. I'm always happy to pass on whatever advice I think is relevant.

Thank you for your feedback.

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

hi david,

great idea. it's always good to get reviewed. one gets to know about the quality that's getting reflected on others.

thanks

regards
sam

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

Yes, you're right - and the more knowledge we share and the more feedback we give one another, the better we all become.

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers

David