Monday, May 14, 2007

Power Struggle

Sunset In The Valley

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


These shots were taken on Saturday evening, looking down across a valley that has a thirty-degree slope. I am not a big fan of power lines, but there is nothing like a striking silhouette to enliven a great sunset. I had to move fairly quickly to frame the first shot. Then, a couple of minutes later, just as the sun sank rapidly, I was actually turning away to pack up the camera. Then I realised the sun was hitting a shallow layer of haze and actually looked as if it was changing shape. Regular readers of this blog are familiar with the fact that I do not use filters and that I do not use imaging software to alter my shots in any way. When you have a landscape like this, you simply don't need to.

6 comments:

phaseoutgirl said...

David,

Beautiful. I love sunrises and sunsets. I always feel that these signify beginnings, always beginnings, even sunsets do, for me at least.

cheers,
Cecilia

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cecilia,

I share that thought, absolutely. The funny thing is, you can photograph sunrise or sunset from the same place every day and it'll always be different.

I guess that applies to our days as well - every single day is different and we never know what they will bring us.

I hope and pray your bring you great happiness, Cecilia.

Keep smiling

David

Chertiozhnik said...

Wow! And the colour range in the second pic is stunning.

Do you post them anywhere at full size?

david mcmahon said...

G'day Chertiozhnik,

Just lucky, mate, very lucky. Like I said, I was turning away to get back in the car when I noticed that the colours were zaptastic.

No, I haven't posted it full-res anywhere. The original file is probably 6MB or thereabouts.

However - and this is not an offer I make lightly - if you want to reproduce that shot on your blog, you're most welcome. Because you're a good sport and a good blogger, there'll be no charge.

When you sort out the issue of the Royal Order of the Heffalump, lemme know ....

Cheers

David

Fletch said...

Great shots - as usual!

I'm still working on the 'Thickbox' display feature which might be useful to you as it appears your viewers wish to see a 'larger' image. At the moment the new Blogger engine refuses to support the technology. I'll keep you posted.

Call me 'unusual', but electricity pylons marching across a landscape are a very comforting sight to me. I know that wherever they end is where I can get a nice hot meal, a hot shower, and a good night's rest!

My conversion from 'country-boy' to 'city-slicker' is complete, I guess!

david mcmahon said...

Thank you, El Tel,

Very interested in your update on the imaging option.

I follow your logic about the pylons! Nothing like a hot shower at the end of the day.

Cheers

David