Friday, May 18, 2007

Star Tech

Every Blogger Wants A Traffic Jam

Here is a query I recently received from Weston Sabawo, whose work can be seen at Owatalk.

Could you please tell me how to increase traffic to my blog.

Mate, they'll be giving out Nobel Prizes (and marketing awards) to the person who cracks the one-step method of getting 100 hits a day. Great to see you’ve got an XML site feed and links to other sites. Building a library of links is a good idea, because it can earn reciprocal links and visitors.

Replying to posted comments builds dialogue, creates the expectation of a response - and encourages readers to return. Posting frequently and coherently can help increase readership as will a wide range of issues because you project wider appeal.

To take your blog to the next level , you need to build a loyal readership - inducing people to return to your site. There is a significant discussion thread at Google Blogger Help, but I would also advise you to install a hit counter so you can see who's visiting, how long they spend on your pages, and what they read.

Think about using the Blogger Profile option too. Readers like to put a name to a blogger and even if you don't want to post a picture, it's good to include some details. Your aim is to increase traffic, so you need to give readers a way to recall who you are.

Finally, try visiting blogs with similar themes and leave comments - people may follow the link to your site. Good luck. And keep your focus on that Nobel Prize.

11 comments:

Viper said...

The blogger help link doesn't work. Good blog btw.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Viper,

Thanks for pointing that out. Will fix it as soon as possible.

Much obliged.

Glad you like the blog. Hope to see you back here. Will check out your site as well.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Viper,

Thanks for pointing that out. Have fixed it.

Muchas gracias, mate

David

Anonymous said...

Traffic!! The perrenial want of each and every blogger.... I believe it's all about a game of quality posts and blogging courtesies!!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

Exactly - and there are no easy answers. Sometimes a post that should bring a great response brings none - but the trick is to write what is of interest to you.

Chances are that will work a lot better than writing about a subject that caters to garnering readers.

Feel free to share your thoughts here and we can always discuss the best possible options.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

Just a quick afterthought - there are a couple of posts on this blog that might interest you - they were titled `Bloggers deserve the house of Lauds' and `Put your blog on the Reader Radar'.

Cheers

David

Ak-Man said...

*EVIL LAUGH*

At one point I was gettin WAY over 100 hundred hits a day easy!

I decided to make my hit counter invisible though, but I think it's time to pop it up. Not to gloat (ok, maybe to gloat a lil bit) but mainly to let readers know that they are not the only ones checking me out.

I get a lot of hits due to some of the directories I'm signed to. But More reader comments are a lot harder to achieve.

I guess it's all about the content . . .

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ak-Man,

That's fascinating - I'd like to see the hit counter back on your site.

Now would be a good time ...!!!!

Cheers

David

Ak-Man said...

I'll give it a good think Dave.

Not too sure why I keep it hidden anymore.

I'm scratching my heads thinking of ways to get 100+ hits per day again.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ak-Man,

Yep, re-install the Site Meter for starters. Then you can check your stats and see who's visiting and when.

And post every day, even if it's really short posts. That way people will keep returning to the site.

You know the basics. You write well. You have a blog that looks good. Now it's just up to you to post often ...

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

Better late than never, David. Many thanks for the review and I will take on board what you have said.

I quite like the idea of responding to comments and its something that I will start doing all the time and I had to designed my blog to cater just for that but never got it going.

I will look at the sitemeter issue - currently I do run my own statistics tracking every post etc and I will try to see if I can implement some of the sitemeter features.

Cheers,