Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ghost Of A Chance

The Case Of The Disappearing Traction Engine

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I was brought up with the strongest Christian beliefs so, no, I don't believe in ghosts. But I've had some strange experiences that have no real logical explanation. Just before our son turned two, we were on holiday in India, spending a week in a huge, rambling house - and I mean huge. On our first night there, I was told that the place was haunted - but I was reassured that the "presence" was not malevolent in any way.

Did I see a ghost while I was there? No. But try and explain this to me ...

My son, a big fan of Thomas the Tank Engine, had brought some of the toy engines with him, all the way from Melbourne. One afternoon, I was with him in the huge room that had been set aside as his play room. There were only three people in the house - my daughter, my son and me. The servants had left the house after serving lunch and clearing the dining room. No one else in the house, right? No one.

Just the three of us, and we were all in the same room. My son was playing with Trevor, a traction engine. He pushed it a long way across the smooth, cool marble floor and I watched it very closely. If one of the engines had gone missing, there was no chance of replacing it until we got home. The engine went all the way to the door, stopping right under the curtain that divided the room and the long corridor. He played for several more minutes and then asked me to retrieve Trevor.

I was talking to him while I walked over. Bent down. I was at the curtain. I knew exactly where Trevor was. Put my hand down. No Trevor. Felt around. No Trevor. Lifted the curtain. No sign of Trevor. The traction engine was nowhere to be seen. Not in the corridor. Not under the curtain. Not in the play room.

No one had walked into the house. No one had walked out of the play room. No one had walked into the play room.

You try breaking the news to a not-yet-two-year-old that one of his favourite engines is missing. I did it in a kind, caring manner. He just smiled, as if he knew exactly where it was. He walked out of the play room, down the corridor and asked me to open the heavy door to another bedroom. I did so, because the door was far too heavy for him to open.

He walked straight into the room without hesitation. Went to the double bed. And put out his little hand to retrieve Trevor from on top of the bed.

Remember, there was no one else in the house. You try explaining that to me ...

Click Here: Pentax K100D, Shutter speed 1/90, F8, ISO speed 400.

40 comments:

RUTH said...

We have trains like that over here...they can turn up any time and anywhere regardless of what the timetable says!

My only other thought is telekinesis.

Andrea said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today.

Thomas the Train and Sir Topham Hat. I have read many of those books too. LOL

As far as your "ghost" story, I have no idea how Trevor ended up on the bed. But I do not believe in ghosts. LOL

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Does your son have any memory at all of the incident?

Obviously he was in on the joke or had the happen to him before!

Anonymous said...

That was a totally unexpected ending, I thought that the engine had just disappeared. How odd and unsettling. I'd have been running up the drive after that!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Eeeeek! Are you sure that kid of yours isn't called "Damion"?? Be nice, be VERY nice to him - just to be on the safe side, eh?

BTW, Thomas the tank engine says "hi", he pulled us along in Clarabel on Sunday. (Smile)

dot said...

I don't believe in ghosts either but that is one strange tale!

Jenny said...

I think real ghost stories are better than fictional ghost stories!

Great pictures too.

robkroese said...

Ok, that's spooky.

Has anything strange happened to Diesel?

BRUNO said...

As Mr. Topham Hat himself would say, "You have caused delay and confusion!"

Anonymous said...

Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

Dan said...

I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

b. said...

You have servants?

david mcmahon said...

G'day Ruth,

I've heard that theory before. Must do some more research.

Love your witticism about your trains!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Andrea,

No worries at all. I enjoyed the visit. Will try and make it as regular as possible - as soon as I've got this novel to my publisher.

No, I don't believe in ghosts either!

Keep smiling

David

Archikins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
david mcmahon said...

G'day Mushy,

I'll have to ask him. I don't think he remembers it, beyond a hazy recollection ...

It was amazing, though

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi walksfarwoman,

It was just weird. A very strange occurrence.

Running up the driveway? Thought about that - but it was too long a driveway!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Totally weird - and I take your advice and am VERY good to my children! After all, they will decide my fate when I'm a dodderer!

Say hello to Thomas and Annie and Clarabel for me!

Keep smiling

David

Archikins said...

Thanks for stopping by David!

Hmm...thats a strange incident - how did your son know it was on the bed? And sometimes you wonder why the ghost was fascinated by thomas the train of all things huh?! Now THAT is bizarre!!

david mcmahon said...

G'day Dot,

It was just very eerie.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day anonymous boxer,

Glad you liked the story. I used the kids' old toys to photograph the scene - so I'm glad you liked the pictures!

Thanks for visiting

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Diesel,

Aha, very VERY clever question. Diesel was safe - he must have been ``fuming'' somewhere!

We still have all the engines - as you can see by the photographs!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Bruno,

I wish I'd remembered that quote at the time. However, I think I was just open-mouthed!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Darlene,

I was going to - but couldn't remember their number!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dan,

Funny thing is, it was NOT a scary house. But a number of weird things (with no explanation) kept happening there.

Will reveal all one day ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi B,

No, it would be very nice to have servants. Oh, actually, there is ONE servant in our house - me!

But yes, many homes in India still have servants. My kids were all born here in Oz, so have no concept of having someone at their beck and call.

Oh, yes - they do. ME! But I love being a parent. It is just wonderful, as you know so well.

Keep smiling

Davey Mac

~**Dawn**~ said...

Well *that* certainly makes one scratch ones head, doesn't it!

FHB said...

Baaa, Humbug!

david mcmahon said...

H Dawn,

Like I said - I have absolutely no explanation for it.

Just very weird ....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

I'm tempted to say exactly the same, but I honestly have no explanation to offer for a very strange occurrence ...

Keep smiling

David

Jenera said...

Being a mom with a boy that hides toys all the time, I'm not too surprised that the toy up and disappeared. I have had times where I just saw a toy not two seconds earlier and when I turn to pick it up, it's gone.

I find it odd, and slightly disturbing, how your little guy knew where it was right away and that it was a considerable distance away.

Things like this cause me to ponder a lot however, as I posted in regards to your post, I don't believe in ghosts myself.

none said...

Had that happen with a cat once.

I locked all the doors and windows and then put the cat outside.

I turned around and the cat walked down the stairs.

There was no possible way he could have got in especially in those few seconds.

There are some weird things out there.

Alex L said...

oooh creepy, but he did know where it was... strange.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Jenera

That's really interesting - in your case, as well as mine, it happened with toys.

Like you, I don;t believe in ghosts either.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Hammer,

Sounds like my story - no logical explanation for that one.

So many questions, so few answers...

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Your Eminence,

That was the really strange part. He knew exactly where it was. Went there unhesitatingly.

And there was no one else in the house.

In answer to Mushy's question, my son has no memory of the incident. He was not yet two when it happened, but has heard us talking about it since then ...

Cheers

David

Max-e said...

Hi David - interesting post. I believe in the supernatural, having had too many experiences not to so.
The problem with these experiences is how do you explain what you know for a fact happened, to a skeptical world, when you have no tangible proof or logical explanation. That is why I generally say nothing, but when I do I tell the story, I just tell it as it happened, because there is no logical explanation.

Anonymous said...

David;

Having received a similar upbringing and sharing similar beliefs, I can say that I, too, do not believe in ghosts.

Usually.

Have I ever told you what happened the night my grandfather died, though?

Ali said...

Spooky! You did check your sons head for the '666' didn't you?

My son thought Thomas and his friends ROCKED when he was 2 years old. He knew every word of every story of by heart!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.