Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ute Tube

When Bush Comes To Shove

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


You call 'em pickups, we call 'em utes. In that wonderful Aussie way, we shorten our favourite words, so a "utility vehicle" is a ute. This afternoon, in the heart of Melbourne's CBD, the bush came to town in more ways than one. Ya gotta understand, mate, the ute is an absolute Australian icon.

And when the utes from the bush town of "Deni" (Deniliquin) come down in full-throated convoy to the city, we all stand and applaud. It was the big rev-up to the 2007 Deniliquin World record Ute Muster to be held from 28-29 September. I thought I'd wander down with my camera and spend ten minutes there at lunchtime. Yeah, right. I was there for an hour. Time flies when you're having fun.

The stunning mural on this ute caught my eye because it evoked such a typical Outback scene - a single drover returning home at sundown. It's only just struck me that the mural would have been hand-painted and I should have asked more questions about the artist and whether it depicts a real scene. Up the top of the shot you'll see the "tarp" (tarpaulin) that is always stretched taut to protect the load.


And here is another set of Aussie icons. This is an Akubra hat (above), a true-blue Australian product that is wide-brimmed as protection against the hot sun. Speaking of sun, this was a difficult shot because of the bright early-afternoon sun almost directly overhead. And because I never "set up" a shot, I had to work my way round to get the best angle and combat the shadow. The large tags on the left are cattle tags, while the smaller ones on the right are sheep tags.

Watch this space for more great photographs ....

15 comments:

RUTH said...

Do you mean there's more to the Aussies than we see in Home and Away and Neighbours?...only kidding of course :o)
I think the thing I've learned most about Aussies from all the blogs that I visit is they seem to have a wonderful sense of humour.

Alex L said...

Its true ruth we do, were also very humble...

I went through Deni on a trip to Merriwagga, I cant say I noticed much of it as it was at night, but i can say i had the longest wait anyone has ever had at a macdonalds for a mcchicken burger, at least twenty minutes...

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ruth,

Ah, as you know, that is the ``TV'' version of this great country.

Humour, yes. And irreverence. And a (very) healthy suspicion of authority.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Your Eminence,

Never been to Deni, but I can hear the clarion call ....

Keep smiling

David

Jo Beaufoix said...

I agree with Ruth.
The Aussie sense of humour is great.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Oh, I want one of those hats!! I do, I do, I really do..

Great post, David, thanks for educating us in Aussie-speak, it explains a lot (wink).

david mcmahon said...

Hi Jo,

Thank you for dropping by. Always nice to get a comment from a terrific blogger.

It's a laconic sense of humour in every sense of the word. I guess it is an important part of my life as well, because two key chapters of my novel Vegemite Vindaloo are centred around the Outback, with two laid-back blokes who enjoy a laugh.

Do keep in touch ....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

They are sensation, the Akubras. You could probably buy 'em online.

I could see you in an Akubra, sitti g there in your chair by the creek, pounding out one bestseller after another ....

Keep smiling

David

Merisi said...

Very interesting post for me, Australia being such a faraway place (and where postal employees from all over the world love to misdirect mail for and from Austria *g*). I am looking forward to more! :-)
P.S.: Driving around Washington DC on the beltway through Virginia, one can sometimes see two worlds collide, the "urban" SUV driver with the pick-up truck from out back along Route 81.

dot said...

Nicely decorated hat he's wearing!

Fletch said...

Just had to comment. I have my own Akubra PLUS 3 "Genuine Steer Hide" BCs (that come with their own pouch). Three different sizes, depending on how lazy I've been about visiting the barber!

I get 'looked at' when I remember to wear one. Not sure whether it is with envy, amazement or derision, but if you have the cojones to wear one in an European city-scape it matters little.

david mcmahon said...

Hi El Tel,

You, sir, are aristocratc enough to wear an Akubra of any description.

Envy. They're definitely lookin' at ya with envy.

Keep smiling

David

My Unfinished Life said...

real nice pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cath said...

I really should stop doing this at after 3 in the morning. I'm sure it';s not healthy. But y'see, I gets curious!
I went to Katney's, then to Picture this (which is a great blog) and then found your link to this post. And now I know where the hat picture came from. I wouldn't mind a hat like that...
Hearing the Aussie twang come through in these comments... Makes me wanna be there! Anyone going thataway? Can I hitch? :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.