Saturday, August 11, 2007

This Is Aussie Rules Football

Black And White (And Cred All Over)

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


There can be nothing like the pain of a loss in the Australian Football League. Well, yes, there is, actually - it's even worse when your team gets beaten in a complete upset that even has the bookmakers shaking their heads at the size of the total payout. Yesterday we headed to the Melbourne Cricket Ground to watch the Collingwood Football Club (black and white club colours) take on the Richmond Football Club (black and yellow club colours). This is Round 19 of the national Aussie Rules competition and Richmond, having won only a solitary game all year, came out firing and thumped Collingwood. This shot (above) was taken on the concourse near Gate 6 of the MCG.


We got to our seats very early and I took this shot (above) to give you an idea of the size of the historic sporting arena. We call football ``footy'' and night footy has a completely different feel to afternoon football fixtures. My fellow blogger Dan, who recently posted a glowing review of my novel Vegemite Vindaloo, might be interested in this shot. You see, the novel begins (and ends) with the depiction of a night Grand Final here at the MCG.


Here's a sight (above) that you don't see too often at the footy. The woman on the left is a Collingwood loyalist, while her father (right) is a Richmond fan. When we first came to live in Melbourne 20 years ago, most families has single-club loyalties, with children barracking for clubs because their parents barracked for them. But now that the competition has gone national, it is more common to see members of one family who follow different teams.


This shot shows the black-and-yellow colours of the Richmond cheer squad, celebrating an all-too-familiar sight - a Richmond goal. But we won't go into too much detail on that subject! But you might be interested in the configuration of the goalposts. A goal (a kick through the centre posts) earns six points, while a behind (a kick between a centre post and a shorter side post) earns one point. Hope you enjoyed your brief introduction to Aussie Rules.

11 comments:

Peaceful/Paisible said...

I know so little about football, but hubby loves it...so sometimes I watch a game on tv with him...he can no longer watch them in real, too difficult physically but it's also nice on Tv...
see you dear

david mcmahon said...

Lovely to hear from you, Mousie,

In reality, we ALL know so little about football!

And tell your husband from me that we actually get to see more on TV (with better angles and replays, etc) than we sometimes do live at the ground.

Keep smiling

David

simon said...

Hi David! Wow! What an amazing world for sure... A link to a melbourne journalist via Merisi in Vienna. Incredible!

Mate I am going to ad you to my list for sure and thanks for the great photos you do!

I am in Melbourne in the next few weeks for work and my dads birthday! st kilda rd with a great view of the lake!

Simon

Chertiozhnik said...

I've only seen one Australian rules game, and violence seemed to be the main point, never mind the goalposts.

Or was that just a bad day I saw?

david mcmahon said...

Hi Simon,

Tis a small world for sure! Imagine being linked through Vienna and the wonderful Merisi.

It'd be great if you added me to your blog.

Keep in touch and give me your Melbourne plans. Would be great to catch up.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chertmeister,

Might have been a bad day. What year was that - was it on of the London AFL promo games?

Cheers

David

Alex L said...

I find it to frustrating to watch the stupid shape of the ball ruins the entire game for me, but having said that I'm a melbourne supporter, c'arn the deee's

david mcmahon said...

G'day Pope Terry,

I honestly reckon the shape of the ball is the greatest challenge. Especially when it comes to running at full pace and bouncing the ball.

Carna Dees. And Carna Pies. Hope they bounce back ...

Cheers

David

b. said...

So, it IS different that US football.

Look at all those people....you're a rockstar!

Chertiozhnik said...

The game I saw was a long time ago, on TV, special broadcast in the UK (this was before we had cable and loads of sports channels). It looked a way more rough than footy or rugby.

Maybe it was all fake blood, to scare the Poms. It did!

Suldog said...

I absolutely LOOOOOVE Aussie Rules Football. It used to be shown several times a week here in the USA on the ESPN network, but I haven't seen it for many years now. My Dad and I used to especially like the referees. We thought they looked like butchers in their white coats.

I do have question for you, one that I was never quite able to nail down. What is the rule for "dribbling"? That is, how often must a player bounce the ball while carrying it? Is there a set limit of steps he can take before just carrying the ball becomes a penalty of some sort?

(Sorry if this is a "baby" question. As much as I watched the game, and enjoyed it, I could never quite figure that out.)