Thursday, August 23, 2007

Potato Appealer

Spuds? Yup, They're All Eyes

Officials in Belica, a Croatian town, have started work on a new park dedicated to the humble potato. It will include potato plant flower beds, a potato-themed play park for children with swings and slides shaped like potatoes. The potato was nominated by the powerful local farmers' union. The unusual monument in the centre of the village dwarfs the nearby monuments to the heroes of World War I, World War II and the War of Independence in Croatia.

FOOTNOTE: Banners and mash.

10 comments:

none said...

I guess every town needs a mascot.

RUTH said...

A lovely idea but I hope they warn the kids that the fruits on potato plants are poisonous!

Victorya said...

So the park is for the small frys, huh? The little spuds? With slides like curly fries and crinkle cut stairs. Do you think the people are CHIPper about this new prospect?

Colleen said...

I wrote a poem about a potato once. It's gotten high acclaim from many a child. Maybe I should post it...

david mcmahon said...

G'day Hammer,

Sounds like the farmers hold the whip hand there!

No flies, er, fries on them!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ruth,

I love the fact that I always learn something every day from you.
Didn't know that, for sure.

Is oleander poisonous as well, at some stage?

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Victorya,

You've outpointed me, outboxed me, and outclassed me completely!

I gracefully concede my title to you, o worthy queen!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Colleen,

Saw the poem. Loved it. Left a comment on your blog.

Always a pleasure to see your work.

Keep smiling

David

indicaspecies said...

David, I enjoy the puns you use in your different postings. Thanks.

As to potato plant flower beds, I've seen some of them during my recent trip to the Himalayan village of Fiang and they are indeed beautiful. I guess I have a couple of pictures of them, which I shall post in due course.

Cheers!

david mcmahon said...

Hi indicaspecies,

Thank you for those generous words. Looking forward to those pictures ...

Keep smiling

David