Friday, August 17, 2007

Tom And Cherry

Do Ya Feel Lucky? Well, Do Ya, Pink?

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I mentioned about a fortnight ago that the fruit trees would suddenly burst into bloom by mid-August. Sure enough, there were a couple of sunny, balmy days last week and by Thursday there were bursts of light pink on many of Melbourne’s trees. I took this shot last Sunday, in fairly murky light. For some reason, the light pink blooms are always the first to blossom, followed by the dark pink a few days later and finally the white. Perhaps someone can explain why ….

Click here: Pentax K100D, Shutter speed 1/180, F5.6, ISO speed 800.

10 comments:

Dennis said...

its a beautiful feeling looking at this photograph..nice work David..

david mcmahon said...

Thank you, Dennis,

I had to work hard for this shot, because it had just rained and the sky was really overcast.

Many thanks

David

dot said...

I've never thought much about it but the pinks do come before the white. I guess it is Mother Nature's decision.
Thanks for adding me to your blog roll. I've added you also.

Chertiozhnik said...

Maybe by variety, cherry trees have different blossoming times - http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisit/cherry-blossom-types.htm

The Japanese take it all very seriously http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_when.html

But none of this explains why...

Lovely photograph!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dot,

How lovely to hear from you. I guess the pinks, as a variety or genus, have something in them that releases the bud earlier.

Many thanks for blogrolling me. Do keep in touch.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chertmeister,

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for those links. Shall swot up on them now ....

Maybe it's got something to do with the difference between cherry, quince and plum blossoms.

Keep smiling

David

mrsnesbitt said...

Cherry Blossom?
Oooooooooooooooooooooh you have just sorted out my E Photograph for next Wednesday! LOL! OK, bet that has got you thinking now!


Chuckles to herself!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Mrs Nesbitt,

You have got me COMPLETELY intrigued, Denise!

And I can reveal that I just thought of a great E post, even better than my original idea.

Haha - have I got you intrigued too?!!

Keep smiling

David

Ali said...

.... and between you I am double intrigued!!!! Roll on Wednesday..lol

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ali,

Thank you. Looking forward to you next 100 posts, by the way.

Keep smiling

David