Thursday, August 16, 2007

School Buoy

D Is For Darjeeling, Where I Went To School

Mount Kanchenjunga, Darjeeling. Photograph copyright: JAMSHED MADAN


I'm following the Letter Of The Week theme set by Mrs Nesbitt, using the letter D for week four. I’m also in the market for a larger size of bowler hat after B, who writes I Gotta B, said I’m her ``second favourite Aussie after Keith Urban''. On the weekend, she picked up on a comment of mine and asked for more details on my boarding school background. I was very privileged to attend St Joseph’s College, Darjeeling, a school that occupies a very special place in my heart.

We pupils were there for nine months of the year, from late February to late November, hundreds of miles away from our families. But we lived in a totally secure environment, where the Belgian and Canadian Jesuits and the Indian lay teachers treated us with the utmost respect and where our personal safety was an unwritten guarantee. The staff were our surrogate parents and I reckon I speak for many North Pointers when I say those were golden years.

Our school motto was the Latin ``Sursum Corda'', meaning ``lift up your hearts''. Part of our school anthem was the line ``We’ll stand, boys, like men to each other’’ and even after all these years, I am still in close contact with many of my classmates, who are spread out across the world. You can read more about the school in my post No Bully Beef. And for other North Pointers out there, I was in Fallon House and my senior room was Room No. 221 in the corridor that overlooked Fraser Hall.

Interestingly enough, a couple of days ago I also had a comment from Canadian blogger Les Becker, who writes Drawing On A Great Experience. Les followed a link to the article My Role In The Diary of Anne Frank and pointed out that the sets for that school production were amazing. Yes, Les, I was lucky to do a lot of theatre and that was the most elaborate stage I ever acted on.

I wonder if my fellow North Pointer, the US-based Sandip Madan, who writes the thought-provoking blog Things Blight And Beautiful, would care to give us his views on the best boarding school in the world. Stay tuned.

Finally, as you'll see in the photograph below, the backdrop to the school was an amazing mountain range. Not just any range, either. That is Mount Kanchenjunga, the second-highest peak in the world. It was the first sight that greeted us every morning of our lives - and I don't think we inky schoolboys really understood just how privileged we were. I reckon we simply took that sight for granted.

Photograph copyright: North Point Alumni Association www.npalumni.org

33 comments:

RUTH said...

An interesting insight to some of your school life. I bet you've many a good tale to tell :o)

Les Becker said...

Thanks for the link, David - I must admit, though, a slight confusion over "Drawing On A Great Experience"... I always thought I was just flying by the seat of my pants.

(And they really were fabulous sets!)

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Ahhh, breathtaking sights! Was the snow there all year round? How high is the school? I am wondering about how the thin air might have affected you guys come Sports Day.. bet you were fit.

FHB said...

Beautiful. Would love to see that place some day.

Ali said...

What a beautiful setting. How come I never got to go to a school like that??

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I know what you mean about not understanding things and taking for granted some things from our youth. Thanks for the insightful post on your school, it looks like quite a place.

Anonymous said...

Incidentally today is our Independence Day (15 August). Did you have anything at the school?

Chuck fka: Meanie said...

Guh Day David! Wee hav mowtunz yike dat in Wyomin! Day hav no on dem aw yeow wownd! Dankz fow shaowin uh pawt ov yo wif!
Luv,
Chuck

Anonymous said...

Ah David - how homesick you make me. I knew Darjeeling AND Ootacamund, the latter was near Lovedale, in the Nilgiris, where my sister and I went to boarding school (Lawrence School), same format, nine months out of the year - two years for me, six for Jill, but it is indelibly marked on my mind, the sights, the fragrances (did they have eucalyptus trees in Darjeeling??!! - just kidding!). We made a four-day trip by train, changing three times, at Calcutta, Madras, Mettapolliam, ending up on a Swiss-type cograil train...

Recently, in going through old family pics, I found one of my mother outside St. Paul's (?), in Darjeeling. Brought everything back. I was a railway brat, up and down the south-east coast, and then some. Grew up on trains, fell asleep to the rhythm of the wheels on the tracks.

But, oh Darjeeling. I understand. It was a feeling.

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

This looks like a beautiful place to have gone to school...
Lucky you!

Cuckoo said...

Yeah, that's one of the best schools in Darjeeling.
And same question as Priyank. Do you have any memories of Indian Independence Day ?

b. said...

That is absolutely an amazing setting. My guess is that you were a little mischievous, but how could you be anything but inspired?
Beautiful surroundings.....
I love reading about your history, thanks for sharing.

Lin said...

How wonderful to find yourself in such a beautiful building nearly set upon the roof of the world.

Thank you for asking after us, David, you were quite right in your suspicions and we appreciate your caring.

Anonymous said...

I think that is the most glowing report of a boarding school I've ever read for the ones in the UK are notoriously bad.

Now it's easy to understand how the care and protection given by your greatly admired tutors contributed to you being the man of great character we have the privilege to know today.

What a setting!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ruth,

Thank you. It was a very special place.

Yes, many good memories and many tales to tell. In fact, the school figures in my novel Vegemite Vindaloo, too.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Les,

No worries at all. I'm always happy to link to other bloggers. It's all about acknowledgement, isnt it!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

1. Yes, the mountain was always covered in snow. Always!

2. From memory, the school is about 6500 ft above sea level.

3. Yes, we were very fit - but I was not one of those who shone on Sports Day. Cricket, tennis and swimming were my sporting loves - and a bit of hockey.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

Without any exaggeration, it is one of the most sensational places God ever created.

I was so lucky ....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ali,

I'm sure you would have been welcomed with open arms!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day digital flower pictures,

Thank you for those kind words. I'm glad you thought it was insightful.

Visited your blog and will be back. It's great.

Do keep in touch.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Priyank,

Yes, Independence Day was a big event.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Meanie,

Sounds like an amazing place. Would love to visit Wyoming with my camera in tow.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol (in the US)

What a wonderful comment. I can really feel your empathy for the place and the lifestyle.

I have to take my kids back to see the place. It is very special.

Not sure about eucalypts - these thngs didn;t matter when we were teenagers!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G;day CLCG,

Like I said to FHB, it is one of the most awe-inspiring places you could imagine.

No wonder it figures (briefly) in my novel.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Cuckoo,

You cannot begin to imagine how much pride I have in the school and in Darjeeling itself.

Yes, Independence Day was a very big deal there.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi B,

You are spot-on. It was heavenly. It was home. It was a place of wonderful memories.

Mischievous? Maybe - but you'll need to ask my classmates!

The surroundings were just incredible. Thank you for finding a certain relevance to the post.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

What a beautiful description - yes, it was the roof of the world.

Very relieved to hear from you ....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day WFW,

Thank you for that wonderful comment and your generous words.

It was/is an amazing place and I was very privileged to be there.

I guess it says a lot about the place that I thanked some of my teachers in the acknowledgement section of my novel.

I believe I am (as you say so generously) ``a man of great character'' - but I think it's because my brothers and I had a wonderful upbringing and we had great role models throughout out lives.

Thank you, most humbly.

Keep smiling

David

My Unfinished Life said...

interesting insight..not only of the school but also of darjeeling..i mean to visit the place sumday....

Anonymous said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, David, but didn't you also have "The Governor's Cup" football/soccer match at North Point on Independence Day? One event we never ever missed while we were there.

Rene.

SandipM said...

David, your description brings all those memories back. It was/is such a wonderful school that we all share deep bonds even to this day. Thanks for recreating our vivid impressions about our surroundings, our experiences, and our wonderful "Fathers" and teachers.

Good to again see the pictures and description of "Diary of Anne Frank' through your links. You were born with talent and an exceptionally pure heart, but I think the school made you an even better and a more accomplished person.

Btw, I also spent time following the links to other visitors to your post today and saw some of their interesting blogs. :-)

Unknown said...

This is excelent testimony to the best boarding school in the world and to the legacy of all those students and faculty who were at North Point, and continue to live up to the Sursum Corda motto !

Sam said...

hey david!!
its so good to see something abt darjeeling!! i blv it really was due for soemtime now!! adn having spent 4 yrs in the neaighbouring state of sikkim not too long ago.. i can understand the feel that you might have wen u now luk at the pic of yrs gone by in those mountains!! we too never realised teh true magnificience of the picturesque surroundings... until much later!!
to memories!! cheers
sam