Monday, June 09, 2008

Daisy, Daisy, Give Me Your Dancer, Do

I'm Half Crazy, All For The Love Of A View

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I often get asked, "How do you decide what to photograph?'' It's a complex question, because there is no single answer. I photograph things that catch my attention, or things that are quirky, or unusual angles, or uncommon sights, or simply sights that make me look twice. Where I see art may not be where anyone else sees art - but that is the joy of individuality.

Sometimes you see something and you can almost hear the sight calling out to you: "Photograph me". This was one of those occasions. I was walking past Federation Square on Friday, when the place was set up for The Great Australian Sunny Sizzle, which celebrates all abilities.

As I walked over, I saw this plastic flower in a pot, surrounded by blue and yellow tarpaulin and "beach sand". And yes, while you were reading this post, you DID notice the legs of the deckchair, didn't you?

Photography teaches me many things. I reckon I'm a fairly observant sort of bloke, but I could have sworn there was no breeze that day. The river was hardly rippling. But the petals on this "plant" were rotating steadily but silently in the gentle breeze on that grey afternoon. I just had to stop and shoot the scene. I'm a sucker for petal pushers.


(The Odd Shots concept came from Katney. Say "G'day" to her.)

15 comments:

polona said...

that's a bright looking scene and i like it :)

Daryl said...

Actually I was more focused on the green cup or cap ... got me thinking .. did they put the 'sand' in the flower pot with that? Will 'they' remember where they left it?

That's the sort of spin I put it ..

:-Daryl

Katney said...

I can always get a jump on Monday by coming to visit you. Of course, till school is out, I can't guarantee that a jump on Monday is a wonderful thing. Of course, midnight Pacific Time is the witching hour for my Odd Shot each week.

You have captured wonders angain, David. You teach us to remember to be observant. I did not notice the green cup as Daryl did--at least, if I noticed it, I did not note it.

Cath said...

"Petal pushers"? *Groan* It gets worse.
Thank you for my comment at mine - it DID make me smile. Glad I got full marks - I think the bird was praying "Put me DOWN!!!"

These are very striking colours. I also noticed the green cup, but was more on the lines of how serendipitous - that blue and yellow should make green, the exact colour of the nearby utensil. As always, quirky shots from you that fascinate me. I make no secret of trying to emulate your style as I learn so much. I was always observant - now doubly so. I am photographing the most ridiculous things in situ, always in situ. And I surprise myself sometimes with the results. Thanks for all the tips you so freely give. It brings the joy back to photography. (And yes, this is a public comment [rather than email] because you deserve the credit!)

My odd shot will be up soon (not Monday yet here...!)

Sandi McBride said...

A sucker for petal pushers...best line I've seen today...good one Deano...it could be a song!
Sandi

Baino said...

Ah a little ray of sunshine in an otherwise very grey weekend! 'tis in Sydney anyway. I love the idea of odd shots . . .might pinch that if I can for when words fail me!

Lori said...

Ah, I remember that old song. Reminds me of Mitch Miller and the Band from my childhood.

The colors in this are so vibrant and SUNNY....that's what I noticed because that's what we, here in Kansas, need desperately. Thanks for sharing it here!

alicesg said...

Nice photo. Bright and cheery. Thanks for the tips on photography.

Lana Gramlich said...

I love these brightly colored shots. I'm a sucker for BRILLIANCE. Very nice & so much fun!

Bart Treuren said...

most of my best photo's are taken when i don't decide anything but react to my own feelings and intuition...

sometimes though, when i'm on a shoot, there are still moments with just that little bit extra, a look, a combination of forms or strange lighting which deliver the most excellent photos...

thanks for sharing this, i appreciate it :-))

Hilary said...

Snorting at petal pushers.. ;)

I love the colours in this photo, and did indeed notice the chair legs but thought it was an empty picture frame leaning up against the display. Beautiful and eye-catching and makes me think of childhood summers.

Mima said...

The flowers are wonderful, I really love things that move in the wind. I used to have a really colourful one just outside my window, but it faded so much that it looked awful and had to go!

Unknown said...

Great shot David. I like bright cheery shots.

Gone Back South said...

That's so bizarre. I had just started a post about my grandma Daisy, and wrote that she taught me the words to songs like "Daisy Daisy give me your answer do...". Then I stopped typing because it's late and I decided to read other peoples' blogs instead. Clicked on yours and saw this post! Very odd.

Jeanne said...

Love the colors! Cool catch.