Sunday, June 22, 2008

Roar Talent

In For A Penny, In For A Pounce

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


It’s great to use your peripheral vision as regularly as possible. I was in the lunch area at work on Friday morning, getting some milk out of the fridge, when I noticed this cup that had been left on the microwave. I assumed that its owner had left it there for a minute and would be back.

I wanted to photograph the cup, but I didn’t want to walk away to get my camera, only to return if the cup had been taken away by its owner.

Let me put it this way, I work for a large company – and the cup could have belonged to anyone. So I waited. And I waited. After about five minutes, I reckoned the best course of action would be to scribble a note saying: ''Could I please photograph your teacup, simply because I enjoy shooting unusual objects and sights.''

Then I began to think laterally. By the time I got a piece of paper and wrote the note and slipped it under the teacup, I could have dashed to my desk and picked up my camera instead. So off I sprinted. I returned and photographed the cup exactly where it was, even though the light was not the best.

And at the end of the working day, the cup was still sitting on top of the microwave. Did I say ''teacup''? Sorry, I meant to say ''tea cub''.


Check out the rules at Camera Critters or go to Misty Dawn.

38 comments:

Lavinia said...

That's a roarin good cup!

Susan Demeter said...

That is a very interesting looking tea cup er cub .. lol! :)


My entry is here

Stop by if you can, and have a great week ahead!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

David: Oh my what a scary place to grab, on a tigers head.

Texas Travelers said...

Nice Story.
Great Critter.
Cool photograph.

Next week, could we have the other half of the critter? ;o)

My critter is perched.
Come visit,
Troy

imac said...

Nice capture David.

pop and see my CC

Reader Wil said...

A fine looking tea cub/cup!

Tess Kincaid said...

That's one big cat cup! The handle has some sharp looking teeth! Ouch.

maryt/theteach said...

Very nice job, David! And how polite of you to ask...:)

Carletta said...

Every Sunday I can hardly wait to see what you find - this is priceless!

Mom Knows Everything said...

That is a pretty neat cup. Is the head the handle?

Cath said...

I love that cup! Brilliant critter. Tea cub indeed...

ShannonW said...

What an interesting tea cup. Not sure I would drink out of it! LOL

Anonymous said...

I like that cup! I often get all tangled up like that with my ideas!

Charles Gramlich said...

That makes my stomach growl.

SandyCarlson said...

I can just see the indecisive moment and then the decisive one. This is a great cup.

Corey~living and loving said...

YOu and your titles....and captions...always make me smile. :)
nice creative post for CC!

San said...

"Could I please photograph your teacup, simply because I enjoy shooting unusual objects and sights."

"Whatta ya mean, buddy? This teacup ain't unusual in the least. Who the hell are you? Some kind of cup fetish freak?"

Michele said...

It's a fantastic mug... I'm always looking around at unusual mugs as well... this definitely fits in the catergory!
Mountain Retreat

Unknown said...

What a fabulous mug!

Lilli & Nevada said...

What a great cup, i would love to have that one.

myonlyphoto said...

Some cup David. Your story is funny, lol. Thanks for sharing, Anna :)

Indrani said...

Your camera critters posts are so unique, I love reading them. Loved the cup, sorry the cub this time. :)

Rhea said...

That's a very unique cup! I gave my hubby a cow udder coffe mug a month or two ago and it just broke this morning! I kept a few of the "udder" parts because I just couldn't part with them. hehe

Anyway, fun Camera Critters post, as always!

Christy said...

Very interesting cup. I have one that my aunt made me when I was little that has a frog sitting in the bottom of it.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

That drink looks like it has a bit of a bite to it!

Juliana RW said...

yes...that is very very interest cup

Visit me in here Thanks

Anonymous said...

nice cup :D

Mine in here Thanks

ratmammy said...

Interesting twist to Camera Critters!

Max-e said...

David that has to go down as one of the best pieces of kitcsh I have seen for a long time. It even beats my camel tea pot. I will post a picture of it one of days for posterity and a good laugh.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Tea cub! Marvellous. A roaring sucees for critters.

Dragonstar said...

Great cup! Very glad you caught that one David.

i beati said...

I so want this cup it is special and animally and stripey and just plain fun!!

D... said...

Aw, what a sweet cup, er cub!

Aisha said...

It's not difficult to hold it? :D I like it! Looks really cool.

Daryl said...

That's Grrrrrrrrrrrreat .. or so Tony the Tiger would have said. I say clever ...

:-Daryl

polona said...

how cool is that! great thinking :)

AppleDebbie said...

Tiggers are wonderful things! And that is a wonderful tea cub... thanks for sharing David!

Mima said...

Its a great cup, not sure how easy it would be to drink from without a proper handle - you might burn your fingers!