Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sax And The City

Lunchtime Interlude Was Music To My Ears

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


It was a sunny afternoon yesterday, with little evidence of winter chill in the air - although there are gales forecast for this aftrnoon. Down by the river, there was a five-man band in fine fettle and there was almost an autumnal atmosphere. Resplendent in their naval uniforms, they've probably played some great gigs, but nothing's better than playing in the open air on a great day, with blue sky above and the Melbourne skyline in the background.

So I take the regulation shot from right in front of the group. And I'm looking all round, trying to work out an unusual angle. Ain't one. Nope, there ain't one, not unless I jump in the river and photograph them from behind while trying not to look like a maverick synchronised swimmer who's lost a partner.


I wouldn't mind getting wet, but I'm not about to dunk my precious camera in the river. So I put the possibillity out of my head and concentrate on squeezing my six foot three frame into the tight corner formed by the concrete topped by a railing. It works. And that, dear readers, is how I shot the last frame (below) of the drummer at work.

Now, ahem, could one of you ring the emergency services to extricate me from this corner, where I have become irrevocably wedged?

20 comments:

Cath said...

Oh what you artists go through! *sigh* ahem. *mops brow*

Fantastic shot dahling. Worth every squashed bone.

Did the fire brigade get there yet? It's a long way from Blighty. They're doing their best...

In the meantime, hopefully there is enough memory on the card for you to take a few more shots. Go on, you might as well!

Merisi said...

Drummed into a corner? ;-)

Leau said...

but totally worth it, eh? great shot... how did the drummer fell about you being in his lap?

Betsy Brock said...

How fun...I think I would have had to extend my lunchhour! I'm sure nobody even noticed you hovering over the drummer! LOL I forgot that it is winter down there...just as we are gearing up with summer!

Louise said...

Great shot! I would have been too shy to do that!

cheshire wife said...

You should have been at the Neil Diamond concert that we went to last Saturday. We sat behind the stage and got as good a view as I have ever had at a concert. Unfortunately cameras were not allowed but we could have got some great pics if they had been allowed.

Kat said...

What you won't do to get a pic, huh? It worked!

The chics in the audience must have been going wild. Not only do women love men in uniform but they also love guys in bands. The best of both worlds, right? ;)

Sam Fox said...

Worth all that squeezing & wriggling - great shots, can here the sounds and feel the vibe! Do hope you have been rescued, and didn't bang your head! Swimming is out for now even on such a mild winter's day - looks like we were weather-sharing yesterday - see my latest blog!

Today is grey and chilly though.
:-(

Maggie May said...

Stuck in a triangle!

Anonymous said...

lol! I have photos of OC's last photo gig taken by some crazy woman who was hanging upside down off the balcony .....

imac said...

Nice shots David, its great to hear these Artists in the stree.
We were at York the other week and we heard this pipe music, it was from a group from Peru called APU - we bought a disc called Dancing with the Incas.

Hilary said...

Wonderful.. I'd say it was a whim shot! ;)

A.Bananna said...

hello! I know it has been awhile. We have has a flu bug! YUCK! anyways...hope all is well! Hope you are not banged up from trying to get that shot! LOL

BRUNO said...

Just hang in there for another 12 hours or so, and you'll dehydrate to a size or two down, and wriggle free!

Of course, there'll probably be someone taking a picture of YOU, in the process of "self-rescue", and become world-famous for a picture of YOUR suffering....!

nitebyrd said...

Ooooh! Great pictures. I have very fond memories of walking along that river.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures. Weren't you just a little bit curious as to how deep the water was and whether your camera really would have got wet?!!

CJ xx

Lana Gramlich said...

I love live, outdoor music. Thanks for the reminder. :)

i beati said...

I'd love to have been there..sk

polona said...

so, has anyone taken the photo of you wedged in there?

imbeingheldhostage said...

Did you hear the "ba-dum-Bum" after Merisi's comment?
Love this post! Can I nominate it for POst of the Day?