Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Who's Giving Me The Gold Shoulder?

The Perfect Platform For A Quick Photograph

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Sometimes a totally unexpected sight can make an arresting image. I shot this in a Montreal Metro walkway, using a little Pentax Optio. It's always tempting to shoot along a floor line because it gives you a sense of perspective, but in this case I shot upwards, using the pattern of the ceiling to accentuate the reflections and also to provide an idea of distance.

The photograph is deliberately asymmetrical, in order to emphasise the unusual quality of the light, as well as the reflection. The lighting and the reflection along the walls draws your line of sight along, and the resultant image looks like some sort of celestial highway.

Never be afraid to experiment while framing or constructing a photograph. Be flexible in your approach. If the first angle doesn't work for you, shoot from a few more - and you'll be amazed at how many possibilities open up, each one more creative than the one before.

19 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

That's very cool, like walking in spun gold.

Tom said...

I like this... different from how I would have gone about it.. and I must say.. much better.

Leau said...

Wowsers, great shot. Thanks for stopping by, I'll be back to enjoy yours from time to time. Thanks for the photo tips as well.

Hilary said...

Can't say I've ever see the Métro from that perspective before. Great shot

bundle-o-contradictions said...

Very cool!!

Unknown said...

Fab photo, David!

Woman in a Window said...

Cool. Is that just the light up there? At first I thought something was in motion.

maryt/theteach said...

Incredible photo, David! Thanks for the tips as well! :D

Cath said...

Wow! Celestial highway indeed! That is impressive. I am still trying to visualise what the naked eye saw from ground level. Any chance of posting that? (Not having been to Montreal I can't quite imagine it!)

Wonderful shot. And I love Charles' comment - "walking in spun gold". This man can use words so well!!

Lana Gramlich said...

Awesome angle. Draws the eye. Very nice.

Leslie: said...

I love this shot! The colours, the lines, the reflections, the "not sure" if it's right side up or not.

By the way, I occasionally enter a photo in the Telus Photo Contest and this time tied for first place on the theme of "Autumn." Come on over and check it out. Not nearly as great as your photos but I'm thrilled to say the least. :D

Lori said...

It looks a little like you're walking into the sunshine. Neat perspective...you are definitely following the light!

Sam Fox said...

Your view is always outside the square, David, and we love you for it! Thanks for the golden glow!

Kat said...

I honestly can't look at that one for long. I don't know why but it makes me dizzy. Wow!

Maggie May said...

I think I would be more worried about getting mugged in a subway! Sad isn't it?
I will have to start taking notes about your photography hints & will keep a little book.
Since your advice on taking photos of butterflies on flowers........ you can guess? They seem to have disappeared from my garden. There were masses of Skippers last week!

imac said...

What can one say -- but -- Perfect.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm sure I'd have been totally oblivious to this shot even if I'd been standing right beside you. This photo pyis amazing!

polona said...

fantastic effect. i have problems imagining how this looks in 'real life', though

katherine. said...

I love the way the line of reflection pulls my eye across the picture and back again. very cool