Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Trash Talk

Don’t Rubbish My Claim

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Some weeks ago, Maggie May made the very public statement that she believed I could probably produce an artistic shot of a simple bowl of peas. Crazy Cath echoed her words and so I simply had to rise to the challenge.

When I posted the results at The Nobel Peas Prize, Texan blogger Rhea threw down the next gauntlet. She figured I should be able to capture a decent shot of trash. Yep. Trash. Now, as you know, there’s trash and there’s Trash. And Rhea wanted an artistic shot. Strewth! High degree of difficulty there.

Yesterday I was walking past Flinders Street Station when I noticed that someone had put this "wheelie bin" (that’s what we call garbage bins here in Australia) on the footpath. Now here’s an interesting distinction. Bins with green lids are for garbage, while bins with blue lids are for recycling.

Yes, there's garbage in this bin, but up the top you can also clearly see cardboard cartons, hence by definition they are recyclable items. But because they were in a green bin, they'd be collected as garbage. So Rhea, here’s your shot. Garbage by definition and by category. Nice neat edges and a variety of angles, too.

And just so you know the shot is distinctly Melbourne in flavour, take a look at the yellow object in the background, on the right of the frame. It's clearly visible in the shot below, where I've used a wider frame.

That is a typical Melbourne landmark. They are concrete barriers erected at tram stops, painted bright yellow for visibility and shaped like the trademark Nike swoosh.

When I was uploading those images onto my blog, my son pointed out an extra feature that I hadn't noticed. No, really, I hadn't noticed! He told me that the edge of one of the cartons (which shows up clearly as darker brown than the rest) looks like the silhouette of a duck.

So it’s over to you now – just let me know of you think I passed the ``trash test’’.

Just don’t tell me I’m a trash test dummy.

21 comments:

Georgina said...

That's such a "city" bin, even the cartons look like computer packaging. The duck is great, but how did that get there in a bin that looks sooo I.T. Great shot Debs x

Unknown said...

That really does look like a duck. Your son has a good eye.

Cliff said...

According to some, a good photo of trash is to your right.

Cath said...

You passed the trash test. Your son is extremely observant. Well spotted. I love how you can "place" your shots too with background information, like the typical Melbourne bollard!

We call them wheelie bins too. Black for household trash (non recyclable) green for cardboard and garden waste and blue for papers.

One day we'll find a challenge that beats you. One day hell will freeze over... ;0)

Colleen said...

You do beat all David! At first I couldn't see the duck. But then I tilted my head to the side and I saw it =)

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I never would've seen the duck if you hadn't mentioned it - neat!

Tess Kincaid said...

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Corey~living and loving said...

I am giggling because I noticed the duck right away. :)

The photo is good....and interesting....but I honestly think you could do better. I do.
not that this isn't good....it just isn't as artsy as I think you could get. :)

wink wink...

Pat - Arkansas said...

Good shot, Mr. Mc! I think you met the challenge. It grieves me, though, to see so many items that could be recycled headed for the trash heap/landfill.

Gone Back South said...

It may be trash but it looks quite well organised and purposeful. p.s. Thanks for putting me on Post of the Day last Friday - that made me glow.

imac said...

Nice one David.

Are you up for another challenge?
Photograph a camera on its own and make it Arty.

Cath said...

Hi again.
Just posted my Weekend Wandering post.

Gone a bit poetic this time. ;0)

(And had a heck of a job posting a comment! Blogger gone mad and crashed!)

Cape Cod Washashore said...

I see the duck! Clever son you have!

SandyCarlson said...

That bin looks like a little green trash barge. You passed the trash test.

SandyCarlson said...

I'll admit, come to think of it, that I never expected trash talk on your blog....

Hilary said...

Your son has certainly inherited your good eye... and quite possibly your one-trash mind. ;)

Lavinia said...

trash test dummy? Laughing out loud at that one!

Maggie May said...

Your son is right! The shadow does look like a duck!
Just goes to show, that you can take a photo of ANYTHING, David! Brilliant! I like the second shot with a pair of feet walking a way from the scene. Makes you feel that the garbage is really dumped!

Mima said...

The trash test is definitely passed, but I can't believe how much of that could have been recycled - I know in some countries if you don't do your recycling then you get fined, obviously not in Australia!!

Sandi McBride said...

Such a neat trash tip it is, too. All nicely organized...come now David, did you set this shot up???
Sandi

Rhea said...

Great job, David! I knew you wouldn't let me down. You never do! You're such a great photographer, story teller and artist! Thanks for taking the challenge. You have a way of making so many people feel special, and I appreciate how kind you've been to me.

Thanks!