Friday, June 13, 2008

Seeing The Light

It Was Like The Stairway To Heaven

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


A couple of years ago, I arrived in Montreal on the second leg of a photography assignment for the Canadian Tourism Commission. I dropped my luggage off at my hotel and immediately set out on foot to explore the city. It was not long before I found myself at the Notre-Dame Basilica or Basilique Notre-Dame, as the locals refer to it.

Instead of walking straight to the basilica, I took several shots in and around the square before walking over to the front of the great cathedral. To my good luck, the time lapse while shooting scenes in the vicinity worked to my advantage.

Right in front of one of the large banners proclaiming "And Then There Was Light" was a maintenance worker. He was up a ladder, replacing a light globe. He noticed me as I got my cameras out. Catching my eye, he courteously asked me if I would like him to get down and move the ladder out of the way so I could get an unobstructed view.

I grinned. I told him not to worry. I could get a shot of the basilica at any time. But it would take a huge effort to choreograph someone changing a light globe in front of a sign that said "And Then There Was Light" – at such a magnificent place of spirituality and worship.

As far as timing goes, I could not have been luckier. Maybe there was a little divine intervention on my behalf.

Visit Mama Geek and Cecily, creators of Photo Story Friday.

31 comments:

Cecily R said...

I think this is my favorite PSF yet. YOu just can't make that stuff up...it would seem too contrived if you did. I LOVE it.

The shots? Stunning.

Cliff said...

Maybe this worker was injured and was on "light duty."

Woman in a Window said...

YES! That's what I was thinking...your charm for timing!

Anonymous said...

Hi David, Simply love the composition & the framing of these shots & the tinge of colours provide by those beautiful lights in it...Wonderfully captured!

I have updated my blog too. You can check it out. Thanks:)

Cheers
Kalyan

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful building! AND photo! :-)

Head Gaggler said...

That's funny. At least he was nice about it!

Tess Kincaid said...

That is a thrilling shot. And love your story...yes divine intervention indeed! :)

Louise said...

I agree with flyingstar, especially about the tinge of color.

RiverPoet said...

Let there be light, indeed! Priceless timing, David. As my son always reminds me, it pays to have your camera ready. :-)

Peace - D

EG CameraGirl said...

Fabulous story, David. You seem to have a habit of being in the right place at the right time -- or we all are but don't see it.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Wow, that architecture is nothing short of mesmerizing. Let's hope the guy was having an off day, else I'd call him rude. :)

Thanks for playing PSF again David!

orneryswife said...

Funny, David! Happy Friday!
TM

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

I have to agree with Cecily. By far one of the best! I love the timing. I agree ... maybe a little divine intervention lol.

Hilary said...

Not only is your timing always wonderful, your eye recognizes more than the usual shot. Another person might have said yes to the man changing the light, or politely wait until he was done, never seeing the opportunity that you always catch. Great shot and always a treat to see your interpretation of my home town.

Rhea said...

Oh, that's a great story! Love it. Let there be light. lol

United Studies said...

Beautiful photo! I've been to Montreal and it is a beautiful city.

Jules~ said...

I bet you made him think for a minute and then chuckle.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

A wonderful post. That's really funny about the light. I visited Old Montreal two years ago and we stayed at an interesting inn called Pierre du Calvet. It felt like a castle inside. If you want to see a fun place, google for the website and check out the pictures. :) It was such fun to stay there (but pricey!)

Lee said...

Love those windows, David! Yes, it a church/basilica but it reminds me of my favorite time periods in both history and architecture. Thanks for sharing these! Got any more like this?

Joy!

Anita said...

Wonderful shots, and great story!
Prairie Visions

Working Mum said...

Humour and architecture. Perfect partnership!

Mima said...

You have such a great eye, and your sense of timing is fantastic. I probably wouldn't have noticed the sign in time to get the shot!!

Unknown said...

What fantastic timing!!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I love the stories behind the photo!

Corey~living and loving said...

great post David. :) what a fun capture that was. :) You rock!

just jamie said...

That *is* fantastic timing. It seems you're very lucky that way.

I was at Notre Dame when they held a moment of silence for 9/11 victims a handful of days after 9/11. What a moment that was!

katydidnot said...

fantastic lightpost.

Cath said...

You've just got that magic eye David....

Maggie May said...

That was a picture waiting to be taken! Brilliant timing!

Sandi McBride said...

That kind of luck could happen to you David...
Sandi