Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Sunday Roast

Putting The Card Before The Horse


This week's interview is with John,
who writes the blog Who Dat Dare Pokah.

The first of the standard questions. Why do you blog?

The original intent is to get feedback on how I play poker from better players, and improve my play. But the blog is going a lot of different ways by including some music videos and some of my photography. It's turned out to be more about sharing some of my other interests as well and I kind of like it that way.

What's the story behind your blog name?

I originally picked this name for an account at an online poker site and it came from a song title from a band called Royal Crown Revue called Who Dat? It's a term used in one of my favorite cities in the U.S., New Orleans, and if you Google "whodatdare" it is the name of a race horse in New Zealand.

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

For me the best thing is that people actually read and leave comments at my site. I get such a kick out of it.

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

I still consider myself a newbie in blogland. I started mine on a whim, and I don't consider myslef a writer by any stretch of the imagination. My advice is to simply start one and keep posting. You'll meet some very people interesting along the way and it's a great way to connect
to the rest of the world.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever read?

I don't think I could seriously say that there was one post that dropped me to the floor yet. From a poker standpoint this post, $5 SNG Guide, has really helped me the most. He's a pro player and a great writer on the subject.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever written?

Again, I don't think of myself as a writer but this post, Unfairness Is Reality, is one that a lot of people liked, and you were gracious enough to include in your Post of the Day. It was written back when I was about 23 and my roomate was an English major and I'd try to write something poetic. This was the only one that floored him.

Today's Sunday Roast with John is the twentieth in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.

4 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

Very interesting blogger, David...now I have to go see "what's it all about".
Sandi

Akelamalu said...

The blog title made me LOL! It reminded me of something my Dad used to say. I must go now and find out more!

Mima said...

Another really interesting read, thanks David.

Debbie said...

David..went to see John and loved the poem. It's still so appropriate today. I'm also going to send my son there (shared the link)because he loves Poker!

Thanks! Great post :)