Saturday, June 07, 2008

Hair-Raising Stunt

Lock Around The Clock

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


This week's theme was always going to be a tough one. Then a few hours ago, I noticed that one of my colleagues had a huge, ornamental feather on her desk. So I told her what I was going to do, and I specified that I did not want her to pose for the shot.

Was I going to put her on my blog? Yes.

Was she going to be famous? Alas, no. Her smiling face was not going to be in the frame, just the top of her head and the feather. I explained how I was going to frame the shot and she gave me the thumbs-up. Thank goodness I work with colleagues who are good sports.

Then I got a brainwave and decided to break one of my golden rules. You know how I never "set up'' a shot? Well I just had to break that rule ....

You know how I just shoot what I see, exactly where I see it? Well, I asked another of my colleagues, a bloke called DB, if he would walk out with me at lunchtime so I could use the top of his head to compose a special shot at nearby Federation Square.

No, DB hasn't gone for the Untidy Mohawk Option - I just shot this to use the giant artistic red ``sticks'' as a creative interpretation of the theme.

I have to say it was a tough one to shoot, because it was very cloudy. While my initial instinct was to shoot from a favourable angle, I was thwarted by the quality of light, so DB and I had to move to a completely different angle to make the shot work.

This last photograph was taken in September 2005, during a two-day trip to Montreal. I literally stopped in my tracks when I saw this huge, striking figure on the facade of a shop in the city's gay district.

28 comments:

Don Mills Diva said...

Gotta love Montreal dontcha? Great photos!

Sandi McBride said...

I think it must be the way you ask that make people go along with you David...it's the fun thing to do!
Sandi

Georgina said...

Those photo feather head shots are great. Well done. Debs x

My word verification tonight is very rude. I don't know you well enough to say it!

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" wears his hair in that fashion-forward REVERSE Mohawk. It's the way Ma Nature made him....

"Louis" has been intending to ask you ever since your hilarious story about how St. Peter busted you for betting (among other things) in church:
After Kneel Armstrong got up off the floor, did you introduce him to Hugh Jass? Or are Kneel and Hugh one and the same when splayed across the floor? Inquiring minds want to know....

Daryl said...

Hair today, there tomorrow


:-Daryl

Tess Kincaid said...

Hairs to you, David. Fun shots!

Corey~living and loving said...

tee hee....and a creative post for the theme this is indeed. Love it. :) As a photographer of mostly people, I am forever trying to remember how NOT to get things growing out of the top of my subjects head. LOL

Kat said...

Wow. You really do have some accomadating colleagues, don't you? Very lucky for you, I think.

That last shot freaks me right out. It is way to similar to a clown. Yipes!

Colin Campbell said...

Good work. I would have no problem imposing on my colleagues. They are also good sports. Nothing like a good work environment. Great shots.

Rhea said...

You need to put that she-man photo down with the other post about the pole-dancing, subway she-man. lol

Love the artistic "hair raising" stunt. very creative!

Anonymous said...

All excellent choices! I like the red sticks the best.

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

Pretty soon your colleagues might just start getting you to pay them for the shots you take!! *kidding*

Sameera Ansari said...

Those were some brilliant shots David :)

Maggie May said...

Very unusual shots. What an imagination!

Alex L said...

That was in the gay district... I'd never of guessed ;)

Hootin Anni said...

As always...great photos. I'm beginning to think you work on a theme for the week,..........all week in advance. You come up with great ones, all the time!!!


My 'bad hair' is of a TV star from decades ago...stop by, won't you?

[there is also a long meme I did for today, so if you wish to leave a comment for me, you will have to scroll down the blog entry to find the comment link!]

Happy Hunting!!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Sounds like fun! How to break up a day at work! :) Great post. Very creative.

Anonymous said...

oooo - lovely takes!!! :) how cold is it where u are?

Unknown said...

whee a shocker on that last frame - good stuff..sk

imac said...

Hair today Gone tomorra.

Great shots david.



Come travel back in time with me.

Jasonblink said...

The last photo is hilarious.. Have a nice weekend....

 gmirage said...

Lol, everything a fun post! Happy weekend!

Harajuku PearL said...

i always love your collection of pictures...it always a nice perspective. I love that feather picture

Pearl

Mima said...

My fav is the last one, that curvy pink hair is wonderful.

Leslie: said...

Good ones, David. I'll have to see if I can find that pink hair if I ever get back to Montreal.

Kim said...

I love the photos that you picked for bad hair!

Mine's up...come on over!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Bengbeng said...

this week yr creative juices r really flowing. it seems to me yr creative juices flow every week :) good shots. u have very accommodating friends.

i found the last pic funny too :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.