Thursday, July 12, 2007

Window Pain

Global Warping: The Problem Starts Here

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Sometimes everything just falls into place and you say ``Thank you, God'' and take the shot. This is actually the side of an office building, but the glass facade gives us a wonderful - albeit fractured - view of the partial city skyline across the Yarra River. We had a patchy sky this afternoon and you can see the multitude of shades reflected here. I had to hurry to line up this shot, because the bloke walking past really puts the whole scene in perspective. I reckon it's a fairly compelling image, like one of those trick mirrors at a fair.

Click here: Pentax K100D, Shutter 1/250, F8.0, ISO speed 200.

10 comments:

Brian in Oxford said...

Hi David

I like this idea with that shot: Re-arrange the squares of glass into a puzzle where the pieces are slid or shifted along to re-form the original image.

Stacy said...

I love it! And THAT is why we always have a camera close at hand.

Catmoves said...

It's terrific. Or maybe you stole it from The Twilight Zone?
(Aside): I seem to remember the Yarr River. Something about, too thin too plow...

Unknown said...

hi David,

Good photographs as this one are work of god and sense of time (on the part of the photographer).
Keep clicking!

rAm

david mcmahon said...

Hi Brian,

That's exactly what I thought as I was shooting it. I could not think of the name of the puzzle, or I would have mentioned it in the post.

That is EXACTLY what was on my mind.

Uncanny, isn't it?

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Thank you, Stacy,

I've been enjoying your sunset shots on your blog.

But you're right. This sort of shot is precisely why we should always carry cameras.

Five minutes later and the light would have been completely different.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Catmoves,

I've never forgotten that comment of yours - it was on the shot of the Yarra looking like a bed of mercury.

I took that shot the evening of a friend's wedding.

Maybe I'll ask you for permission to use that line in one of my novels!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

HI Ramjee,

Thank you. It humbles me to think that we have the power to press one button and capture scenes of Nature.

Keep smiling

David

Anonymous said...

Hey - super-cool, David.

Last time I saw something like this it was in Hong Kong.

It's great when it just works!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Steph,

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. Wouldn't have worked so well if the glass wasn't segmented.

Lucky shot.

Keep smiling

David