Saturday, July 28, 2007

Krusty The Crown

Royally Plastered After A Night On The Tiles

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Wanna buy what every good king or queen needs, a decent Crown? Cost ya four bucks here. Okay, so I'm kiddin'. Let me explain, a Crownie is actually Aussie slang for a Crown lager.

This shot was taken at the Racecourse Hotel in Caulfield, just a stone's throw away from the racecourse that is home to the Caulfield Cup, which is the precursor to the world famous Melbourne Cup. We love adding the ``Y'' sound to our words here in Australia. Hence board shorts are ``boardies'', firefighter are ``fieries'' and sunglasses are ``sunnies''.

And the same rules apply to surnames. Thus, a Sutcliffe becomes ``Suttsy'' and a Payne becomes ``Payney''. Even Steve Bracks,who stunned the nation yesterday when he resigned as Premier of Victoria, is hailed as ``Bracksy''.
But just to confirm your suspicions that we're an oddball bunch Down Under, guess what we do with surnames that actually end with a ``Y''? We remove it! That's why Aussie Rules legend Kevin Sheedy, whose contract was not renewed this week by the Essendon Football Club after an incredible 27 years as coach of the Bombers, is not Sheedy, but ``Sheeds''.

Click here: Pentax K100D, Shutter speed 1/250, F9.5, ISO speed 200.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to meet you, David. Thanks for dropping by Nick’s Bytes. I’ll be by to visit your blog regularly. Oh! And thanks for the insights into speaking Aussie.

Les Becker said...

And what, pray tell, would an Aussie do with "Les"?! I'm dying to know.

Ellie Creek Ellis said...

When I met a nice gentlemen from Australia, he called me "Bluey", lol.

Berni said...

Thanks for stopping by I enjoyed your comments. I visited Australia in 1977. It is a great country.

When I was there I did not feel it expedient to advertise I was a Limey so since I was living in Canada I said I was Canadian, that seemed to be more popular.

RUTH said...

I'll remember this IF I ever get bored enough to watch Neighbours or Home and Away...LOL

Alex L said...

Ah the joys of our butchering of the english language, there are far more ways we do it aswell.

Les would most likely become Lesso, or Lezza, 'o' and 'a' are a favorite addition to the Australian language

david mcmahon said...

G'day Nick,

Have been enjoying your blog. Looking forward to seeing you here again.

Must give you more clues on how to speak like an Aussie.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Les,

Hmmmm. Tricky one. I guess they'd call you ``More'' because as we all know, ``Les is more''.

Does that work for you?!!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Ms Creek,

Bluey. Yep. Anyone with red hair is called Bluey here. That's why Richard Branson's Aussie airline is called Virgin Blue - because their planes are red.

It's true ...!!!!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Vic,

No worries at all. I enjoyed your site. It really is a great country here.

Am busy finishing off a novel at the moment, but will keep visiting your site as often as I can.

Do keep in touch.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Ruth,

I did chuckle at that. My wife was laughing at me the other day because she thought I was watching `Neighbours'.

Er, no. I was taking note of the cinematography.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi, Your Eminence,

I hope Les sees this comment.

Keep smiling

David

skinnylittleblonde said...

Lol...funny, but seemingly true! I guess if I were famous or something over there they would either call me 'skins' or 'blondie'. Both very acceptable ;)

This is my first trip over...so I am going to make my run through, if you don't mind.
Good Times ~ Thanks!